I am a Steeler fan from Toronto, Ontario Canada and had the opportunity to get tickets for me and my two boys to watch the game in Detroit yesterday. Steeler tickets in Pittsburgh aren't the easiest to get, maybe some day. Driving down to Detroit on Sunday morning I passed and was passed by many people in cars dressed in Steeler gear. Some thoughts and observations from yesterday:
- Tone and Ben seem to be losing their chemistry, it almost happened again where Tone went one way and Ben threw the other, if the db was peeking he would have taken the ball the distance again!
- Mendy is the future and is for real, he just looked really confident and focused, they didn't give him the ball enough in the second half though.
- Left tackle Backus was in trouble with James Harrison from the get go, as usual he didn't get a holding call, but he held all game and still gave up 3 sacks.
- Our D needs Troy back and to get off the field on 3rd and longs, way too many being converted by other teams.
- I love Dick LeBeau but until the last drive he has been way too passive on the blitzing, we can do much better getting after QBs, with JH, LT, and LW, then adding in the corner blitz.
- When we got to the stadium at 11AM, all that were there were Steeler fans tailgating and inside watching the team warm-up. The Detroit fans came just before the game or after it started. Steeler Nation is passionate for this team...really!
- Until Detroit made it a 8 point game you could have mistaken Ford Field for Heinz Field, as Tomlin mentioned, the support was incredible on the road. There was section in the corner behind the Steeler bench that was ridiculously loud.
- Mike Wallace dropped a sure TD yesterday, but he is going to get the other receivers so much more balls...nobody can cover him running down the field. Ben has to let go of the ball a little earlier to him though and let him go get it.
- Larry Foote and James Harrison were jawing at half field before the game and had to be kept apart by the officials.