Earlier this week I posted a story on my pick for the greatest NFL team ever, the 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers. Feel free to check the archives to read the article titled "This Team Hasn't Peaked Yet. Within the comments Mary Rose, Steeler Buckeye and I were musing about which Steelers teams of the 70's were best. If this goes over in later posts we can rank the Steelers teams of the 80's, 90's and Y2K. So BTSC, what are your rankings of the Steelers teams of the 70's? Here is mine;
1) 1978...To me the most balanced and Steelers team of the 70's. They were on a roll and Noll stated "This Team Hasn't Peaked Yet" in the locker room after beating Dallas in XIII.
2) 1975...Two time Champions. Bradshaw was maturing. Lambert would not be intimidated.
3) 1976...Greatest Defense in NFL history. Only injuries to the RBs stopped the only three peat of the Super Bowl era.
4) 1979...A veteran team that could literally flip a switch and take it to the next level. Swann and Stallworth were in their prime as Hall Of Fame WRs. As MR stated "offense was best of the decade."
5) 1974...No longer 3 bricks shy of a load.
6) 1972...Francos Italian Army, Gerela's Gorilla's, Dobre Shunka...Birth of a Nation.
7) 1973...Three Bricks Shy Of A Load
8) 1977...An injured Terry Bradshaw leads the Steelers into the playoffs but one and done to the Orange Crush.