1. The defense: I thought they played pretty well without Troy. They only gave up 1 TD. Brian Schottenheimer called a great game in my opinion. Quick passes to keep us off Sanchez, good mix of run vs. pass, etc. I'm wondering what's up with Timmons. He has been average for the past few weeks.
2. The offense: O line was strong. Ben didn't get hit a lot and he usually had plenty of time to throw. Also, they picked up the blitz pretty well. Chris K blew some people up, Hotel was Hotel, Foster was solid, ground game was good. Mendy ran well. Sanders had a good game. Something I found confusing (besides the run to Memo in the end zone) was not going deep to Wallace. They tried it early twice (Wallace was held once with no call) and it was clear that Cromartie couldn't keep up with Wallace. I thought to myself, we are going to go deep at least 5 times and get one for sure. Nope, never went back to it. Amazing......
3. Special teams: Have been rocky lately and it was the difference today. Not just the TD return. We cannot punt the ball inside the 10...ever. But somehow everyone else does it to us. This drives me crazy. I would love to go back and look at the avereage starts of each O...we got clobbered here I think. Oh and so many of us have been calling for Crez Butler to get a helmet (I sure have) but I'm pretty sure that was Butler who missed his lane and on the TD return. Think that was him who missed a big tackle on punt coverage too. Also, I keep waiting for Brown to get a good return in but not much happening for him. Kickoffs are short too. When is SS going to miss a FG? Probably in the playoffs!
4. Heath: we missed him. Spaeth had what? 4 drops? Plus, not only did he drop the winning TD but it wasn't going to him in the back of the end zone. Clutch defensive play Matt!
5. Redman: why does he not get the ball more? Ed Bouchette feels the same way.
6. Red Zone O: OK, a couple of TD's. However, they just seem out of sorts inside the 15. Ben was right when he asked for a tall receiver. Too bad Limas hasn't worked out. They don't have a guy who can go get jump balls. This hurts because without that and having smallish receivers you need creativity on play calling and that BA can't do.
7. Refs: God I hate to moan and groan but c'mon! I will even give them the Clark flag. He didn't hit his head but he "launched" so...ok. But, I have seen our corners get many questionable holding and/or interference calls just like the ones against Wallace and Sanders. So many calls we get against us are, in my opinion, close calls. Offensive holdings, late hits to the QB, pass int's, etc. I watch the replay and think...could have gone either way. My problem is that it really seems like this year they go against us...whether the flag is on us or not called on the other team. My boys are 12 and 10 and they scream at the TV every Sunday about the penalties. So damn frustrating.
I predicted a 12-4 record and we seem to be going there. I can't see a let down in the next 2 games with everything that will be on the line. I see a 2nd round matchup with the Jets so maybe that's why Dad was playing vanilla D? Didn't want to show his stuff knowing we could absorb a loss and still get to the 2 seed. Heath, Troy and Aaron get healthy......