I thought the most fun you could have watching a Super Bowl was in 2002 when Tampa absolutely "punked" the Raiders. But then when the Giants shocked the perfect Pats* I felt that might be better because of how the Pats* had tormented the Steelers throughout the early parts of this decade. Yesterday the Saints made me happy and strengthened the Steelers argument as best franchise against anyone. Why the Saints win was good for the Steelers?
* The Steelers will not face an NFL Champion in the AFC playoffs next year. This will only make the players more confident when facing down their eventual competition.
* The Colts and Peyton Manning are 1-1 in the Super Bowl. Even Tom Terrific has a Lombardi loss. Meanwhile, Ben Roethlisberger (the QB no talking head wants to anoint as elite) is 2-0 on Super Bowl Sunday with a career in front of him. As long as they pundits refuse to give Ben his rightful due he will have a chip on his shoulder. That is good.
* In the race of trying to figure who is team of the decade the past 10 years, the Colts have respectfully declined to step forward leaving the argument to be waged between Pittsburgh and Boston. Boston will claim one more Lombardi but the Steelers will claim Spygate.
* The Pittsburgh Steeler factor helped the Saints. Like the Steelers of the 70s, the Saints were a downtrodden loser franchise that waited 40 years to win anything. The Steelers first Super Bowl title was in New Orleans. Both teams have great colors!
* The Bill Cowher factor was in New Orleans favor. The Saints wear black & gold like Cowher's hometown team. Cowher picked the Saints and was the only pundit to do so on CBS pregame. The Saints used the on sides kick that Cowher used in XXX to change momentum.