If you're into holding hands and singing Kumbaya turn away now. If you can't take tongue and cheek sarcasm the editors of BTSC ask that you return to the main page.
This is a post we did some time ago at BTSC that I really enjoyed. Recently several posts mentioned Neil O'Donnell. Both posts (which I respect) talked of the good Neil O'Donnell did in Pittsburgh. I can't see it through my haze of hate. He is with out a doubt the #1 Hated Steeler of All Time On My List. Feel free to chime in with your list or comments (good and bad) on my choices; Hope you enjoy participating as much as I enjoyed writing! Hate away!
* Neil O'Donnell; My most hated. O'Donnell regularly came up small in the big game. It seemed so typical of Pittsburgh sports leaders of the era with the exception of those on skates (yeah, I'm calling out Bonds, Bonilla & Van Slyke...all of yun's!) 92 O'Donnell leads the Steelers to 3 points in a playoff game at Pitt against the Bills in which we were #1 seed. I get so tired of hearing about how he threw for 349 yards in a AFCCG at Pitt vs. SD. He put up 13 lousy points and DIDN'T hit Santonio Holmes in the corner to win the game. He duffied a pass a yard short of the EZ to Barry Freaking Foster. In 95 he was up to his antics again in a AFCCG at Pitt which the Steelers were heavy favorites. O'Donnell had put up 13 points again late in the 4th quarter vs. the Colts until Ernie Mills bailed him out along the side line. Then of course he gave Dallas a title and Larry Brown millions of dollars. Then he sped out of town to NYJ for $$$. Neil Horseface Toothy O'Dufus. Live in infamy in 50s book of Steeler history.
* DeWayne Washington; Honorable mention. A decent DB at Minnesota and a decent slow DB at Pittsburgh. But by the time 2002 rolled around he had lost a few steps off slow and was regularly beaten long as the Steelers won games 36-33. The Maddox led come from behind playoff win vs. Cleveland set up a HUGE playoff game at Tennessee which had the Steelers a game away from the AFCCG where NE* cheated them the year before. Very late in a tie game Tennessee missed a chip shot and Washington drew a roughing the kicker penalty. The second try eliminated Pittsburgh in 2002. For being in position to draw a game changing flag DeWayne you are hated.
* Limas Sweed; Sorry all of you on the Sweedwagon. This guy just makes my blood boil. He seems to have it all. Size, speed and a football pedigree from Texas. All that wasted talent. I get irked at the defense that you "just have to give him a chance" and "he's only dropped a couple" Too many big games ready to be put away where he bricks the free throw. Playoffs vs. SD in a still too close for comfort game he drops a TD pass in his hands. The next week he does it again vs. Baltimore and lays on the field. Then the Cincinnati game in 2009 and we miss the playoffs by one game. Yeah, I know...he blocked somebody one time and the Baltimore DB fell down. So freaking what?!
* Others To Hate For Their On The Field Play; Harvey Clayton (a smallish but slow DB in the 80s that was regularly torched) Tim McKyer (see SD vs. Pittsburgh 94 AFCCG 4th quarter) Bobby Walden (if you thought Mitch Berger without hamstrings was bad check out this old dude) Keith Gary (a #1 pick in the early 80s that held out for more $$$ then didn't really contribute)
* Others Of Note That Were So Horrible They Couldn't Get On The Field To Screw Something Up; Aaron Jones (a #1 pick DE who had 1 career sack) Tom Ricketts (a #1 pick G that could hurt himself tying his shoe) Huey Richardson (a #1 pick LB that was benched in training camp)