This is my first post, but after reading BTSC for a couple years now, I finally feel like I have something that won't be a repeat of whats already been said. My Mom is from East McKeesport so I've been a lifelong Steeler fan. The last few years watching the Steelers has left me with one strong overall feeling. We've been damn lucky. It started before SB XL and continued until last Sunday just before game time. Allow me to elaborate. The following list comprises what I believe to be constitutes the "luck" i speak of.
1) we were the sixth seed in the AFC
2) Carson Palmer goes out with the bum knee
3) Ben Tackles Harper on fumble return
4) Vandejact misses field goal
5) Seahawks kill themselves with penalties
6) the entire SB 43 season we won games we probaly shoudn't have
7) Romo throws boneheaded pick six to give us that game
8) We beat San Diego 11-10
9) Harrison's pick six off Warner before halftime
10) 88 yard drive with time winding down and Holmes somehow gets 2 feet down
11) we go 3-1 without Ben
12) we convert 3rd & 19 against Baltimore D
13) Houshmanzadeh drops 1st down reception to seal game
14) Sanchez sack / fumble
15) Ben passes for 1st down to seal game
16) Troy, Troy, & more Troy
All these things could have changed the outcome of our season or a game, but somehow they all went our way. I went into this SB thinking that our time for luck was up. To think we still could have won that game still amazes me, and believe me..... I thought Ben was gonna do it again. I prefer to think of this loss as "luck"
not being on our side. How lucky were we to get see the cowboys implode before our eyes this season. That alone was worth everything to me. Almost as good as a SB win......almost. I used to read the "McMillen & wife Steeler site alot, and I got so sick of hearing how Arians was killing us, as we keep having winning seasons and went to 3 Super Bowls. 3/4's of the way through the 08 season I finally posted something to the affect of........ what are you guys gonna say about Arians if we make the SB? We Did. and we made again and I still hear the same refrain.
My point is....... the Steelers have been winning ugly for the last 6 years, and yet we won 2 super bowls and went to 3. It couldn't last forever. One last thing. I officially predict the next SB to be a repeat of the 2 teams we just saw, but with the oppisite outcome.