Originally at FOX Sports Ohio
With Super Bowl fever engulfing the nation once again, I'd like to take this opportunity to state boldly and without an ounce of reservation the following five words:
I hate the Pittsburgh Steelers.
I can't possibly understate that sentiment. It's hate at the most primal level. We're talking grit your teeth, scream at the TV, clench your fists until your palms bleed hatred.
• I hate their fans. Honestly, I can count on one hand the number of Steeler fans who are reasonably bearable when a game is on. Spoiled by success and unprepared for struggle, they freak out and whine like 4-year-olds if a flag gets dropped for anything.
• Yes, I said "front-running" because that's what a lot of you are, Steeler fans. You weren't running around swirling your pretty little dishrag last year when the Browns beat you and kept you from the playoffs. As true fans of football, we show up for our games, win or lose. Not you. When you have a bad year, you slink away. For that, I hate you.
• I hate the "Terrible Towel". You think it looks good on TV and acts as a rallying cry for the team? No. It doesn't. The world has moved on to vuvuzelas as a new annoying thing to do at games, but Pittsburgh is stuck in the 70s with the swishing of brightly-colored linens. When the end of the world comes, I'm heading to Pittsburgh, because it usually takes them 20 years to learn what the rest of the planet has already figured out.
• I hate their quarterback. Then again, so does nearly everyone else. Do I need to explain why?
• I hate the fact the James Harrison tries to make himself out to be the villain on defense, the ultimate headhunter....then cries when he gets fined for headhunting. Either embrace the villain role or decry it, James. You look weak sitting on the fence. Even LeBron James is saying "dude, make up your mind."
• I will admit that I like Troy Polamalu. You have to agree with me on this one, that chick really hits hard.