It looks like we may make our way through the first round of our community mock draft by the time April rolls around. Which means we can collectively consider doing a second round perhaps. Many thanks to you all for the prompt picks and solid write ups. The latest comes from Jim Dominy who picked a guy we've discussed a fair amount here on BTSC. Next up: the New Orleans Saints, represented by a BTSC mainstay, WVPiratesFan. - Michael B. -
The Philadelphia Eagles are a great team, and I don't think that can be argued. I might add this is coming from a man who hates all things Philadelphia. However there must be something wrong with them, or they would be picking 32 not 23. When I look at why they lost to the Packers in the playoffs I see three big reasons: they couldn't cover, they couldn't protect Vick, and they couldn't get to Rodgers.
So what positions do I believe the Eagles need to address in the draft?
Linebacker, Cornerback, and Offensive Line. Out of the 39 sacks that the Eagles had last year only four of them came from their linebackers. I realize they are a 4-3 defense and rely more on the d-linemen, but you definitely got to have more than four sacks from your linebackers.
Next you have to look at their corner back situation. While they were third last year in interceptions with 23 really the only great CB they have is Asante Samuel, and he is 30 years old. He had 7 of their interceptions the next highest total was 4 by Dimitri Patterson. This isn't all to look at really though the also have some guys like Ellis Hobbs who just aren't that good and could easily be replaced by a good young draft pick.
Then there is their offensive line. They were 4th worst in the league last year giving up a total of 49 sacks. While I'm sure some of that could be attributed to the type of player Vick is, 49 is obviously too many sacks. If they do want to draft a lineman they can't just grab up any old one they will need a guy who can protect a mobile quarterback.
With all this information to look at, with the 23rd pick, the Eagles will select:
Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
BTSC 2011 Community Mock Draft Selections
- Carolina Panthers -- Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
- Denver Broncos -- Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
- Buffalo Bills -- Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
- Arizona Cardinals -- Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
- Cleveland Browns --
'The Snow Cone Machine'A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
- San Francisco 49ers -- Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
- Tennessee Titans -- Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
- Dallas Cowboys -- Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
- Washington Redskins -- Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina
- Houston Texans -- Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri
- Minnesota Vikings -- Tyron Smith, OT, USC
- Detroit Lions -- JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
- St. Louis Rams -- Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
- Miami Dolphons -- Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Brooks Reed , DE, Arizona
- New England Patriots -- Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
- San Diego Chargers -- Ryan Kerrigan, DE/OLB, Purdue
- New York Giants -- Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois
- Indianapolis Colts -- Cameron Jordan, DL, California