Another great performance by the first team tonight. I think they were up by two scores before they brought in the second team. I do not have a lot of notes because I had to watch the game on a stream and it is hard to see who is in on a play sometimes. Anyway, here are just a few quick things I noticed:
- Antonio Brown has had the most impressive progression between his rookie and sophomore season that I have ever seen before. He finished the game with a jaw-dropping 4 receptions for 137 yards and 2 touchdowns. He has looked tremendous throughout camp and just keeps getting better. The only problem he has had is with his celebration on touchdowns. On his first TD tonight he taunted the player he beat on his 77 yard strike. Tomlin got in his ear about it and I bet he will not be doing that again if he wants to stay on the field.
- Byron Leftwich broke his arm on an unfortunate play tonight. His arm got caught under him when he was falling to the turf and it was not pretty. It looks like the QB situation may have solved itself. I imagine Lefty goes on IR and Batch and Dixon both make the team.
- Maurkice Pouncey again tweaked his ankle. Tomlin said it was not serious in his post game presser. I know a lot of people will be worried the re-injury, but I am not overly concerned.
- Ben Roethlisberger dominated again. He connected on 68.8% of his passes and finished with a 151.0 QB rating. I have a feeling this is going to be his best season of his career.
- Keenan Lewis went out with an injury to his knee on a great pass deflection in the endzone. It looked very bad at first, but Tomlin seems to think it is not a big deal. More on this to come.
- Crezdon Butler, who came in for Lewis, looked great. He lead the team in tackles with 9 and had a pick six for 95 yards. He probably secured his spot on the 53 with his performance tonight.
- Lawrence Timmons was every where again. He had a nice interception that was almost a pick six, but he got chased down from behind. Timmons is also going to have a great year.
- I need to rewatch the game, but I think Tony Hills played excellent at RG and same for Marcus Gilbert at LT.
- Weslye Saunders continued to look really inconsistent in his blocking.
Chime in and let me know what I missed.