As we get closer to the season, I will be writing some pieces like this one. Today, I will outline 7 players who I think will have a huge impact on our run towards #7 this year. They won't all be the obvious ones like Big Ben and Mike Wallace but rather some smaller names that could help us win the title.
- Ike Taylor - We all better hope that Ike Taylor stays healthy this year because if he doesn't we are in trouble. He is our only corner that is capable of covering a #1 WR and we need him to continue to be his dominant self. Any INTs he has will just be icing on the cake.
- Shaun Suisham - We all have seen how a bad kicker can cost you games and there is no doubt in my mind we will have a few games determined by a FG or two. We need Suisham to be the guy he was in the regular season, not the post-season. If he can give us a consistent 19 games, that will help our cause dramatically.
- Jonathan Scott - Making Scott our starting LT was a balsy move and if it does not pay off, Big Ben could be in trouble. We need Scott to hold down the left side and give us a consistent force there. He also has to stay healthy because I have no trust in Gilbert at LT just yet.
- Jason Worilds - With Deebo's injury nagging right now, Worilds is going to have to step up and play at a high level. He might not be starting but he will definitely see the field a lot this year. He needs to give us constant pressure off the right side so that if Deebo's injury slows him down, we still have a capable OLB on the right side.
- David Johnson - Johnson is going to be used as a fullback in goal-line situations and as our 2nd TE. Lets hope he can block as well as he did last year and maybe even improve as a pass catcher to give us another weapon in our already dynamic offense.
- Our Nickel Corner - Whoever ends up winning the CB3 spot is going to have to play at a high level. There are so many offenses that utilize multiple spread WR sets so we need our nickel to be better than William Gay was last year. Our only weakness on defense is the spread offense and having a good/great nickel corner would go a long way towards fixing that weakness.
- Isaac Redman - Not just because he is our cult hero, but because he will have a huge role in our offense this year. I don't think Mendy will be able to shoulder the same load as last year, and I think Redman will get around a 100 carries this year. If he can be as effective as he was this year, that will make our running game and our entire offense more dynamic.
Well, there you have it. There are dozens of other players that will have a big role on our team but these were the seven I think are going to play big roles in our offense.