NASHVILLE, TN - DECEMBER 24: A Tennessee Titans fan cheers during a game against the Jacksonville Jaguars at LP Field on December 24, 2011 in Nashville, Tennessee. The Titans won 23-17. (Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)
We're picking up the pace again - and we do need to a bit to make sure we get this done before the draft kicks off on April 26. Thanks go to Dcarter for the pick and write up and his quick turnaround of it. Next up: Cincinnati Bengals (Part 2) and they'll again be represented by seton hall and the steelers.
By the way, take note of the cool little minute-long draft profiles from SBN NFL that are embedded with these picks. It's been Michael Bean's personal project to make these videos happen, and let us know what you think of them! -barnerburner-
Finally! The Titans are on the clock and with the 20th pick in the 2012 NFL draft...
The Tennessee Titans select Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina.
I will admit this pick should be CB Janoris Jenkins, but his four kids with four different women and love of marijuana will keep him falling.
After looking over the Titans roster, there's really not many needs on this team. They're solid everywhere, so this pick came down to two players - Stephon Gilmore and DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw from Alabama (who I'm stunned is still available). A few weeks ago, the Titans supposedly had a deal to bring Asante Samuel over from the Eagles, but that fell apart and made this pick easy. After losing Cortland Finnegan to the Rams and having to go up against Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson multiple teams each year, a tough, physical corner is needed and that's exactly what Gilmore will bring to the Titans. Gilmore, a 3-year starter for the Gamecocks, first-team All-SEC and third-team AP All American in 2010, and definitely has the potential to become a true #1 shutdown corner in the NFL.
- Prototypical size
- Great speed and feet
- Very physical player - he'll jam at the line and is a very good tackler
- Mature player that went up against the best players in college football every year (SEC)
The only real weakness I see is his hands - doesn't always catch the ball when he should, but I suppose if he had great hands, he's probably be a WR instead of covering them.
BTSC 2012 Community Mock Draft Picks:
- Indianapolis Colts -- Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
- Washington Redsinks -- Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
- Minnesota Vikings -- Matt Kalil, OT, USC
- Cleveland Browns -- Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
- St. Louis Rams -- Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Quinton Coples, DE, UNC
- Miami Dolphins -- Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
- Carolina Panthers -- Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
- Buffalo Bills -- Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State
- Seattle Seahawks -- Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina
- Arizona Cardinals -- Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
- Dallas Cowboys -- Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Mark Barron, S, Alabama
- New York Jets -- Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Cordy Glenn, G/T, Georgia
- San Diego Chargers -- Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC
- Chicago Bears -- David DeCastro, OG, Stanford