The headline pretty much sums it up. Like most of you, I'll debate the merits of a 6th WR vs. an 8th LB on the official 53 any day of the week, but with camp still a few weeks away and only the Pirates magical season here to tide us over, I'm burning out. Let's do something (arguably more) fun. Rank and defend your 5 favorite albums. Any genre. Limit it to one album per artist. Here's mine:
1. Get Rich Or Die Tryin': 50's best album, and still the only album I have every song from on my iPod. Great production and great vocals, hearkened back to the late '90s version of gangsta rap, and put that style back on the map. Total classic.
2. Bad: Michael brings it on this one. Tough call over Thriller, but I'll take Man in the Mirror, Bad, Leave Me Alone and Smooth Criminal over Thriller, Billie Jean, Beat It and The Girl Is Mine ... barely.
3. Life After Death: Tough call over Ready To Die, but the story telling is off the charts here. Also, no sophomore slump that artists like Jay-Z and Nas had after classic debuts.
4. ILLmatic: Redefined rap. Totally changed everything. NY State of Mind and Memory Lane (Sittin' in the Park) are two of the best songs ever. Plus, Nas was like 21 when he recorded it. I'm 21 now. Do something with your life Jon Ross.
5. Lifestylez ov da Poor and Dangerous: Really hard leaving off anything by 2Pac, but Big L's debut is just incredible here. This CD could make it only because of his opening verse on Da Graveyard, which is the best verse of all time in my dumb opinion.
5 that just missed the cut (again, keeping with the one album per artist theme): All Eyez on Me, The Black Album, Watch the Throne, The Slim Shady LP, The College Dropout.
Okay, ready, go!