Props to Jon Ross for his recent music post that drew 400 plus comments. Also props to Steel Spike who invented the "Top Movie Post" that we all comment on during the long (even longer when the Steelers miss the Bowl) off season. Below is a list of some of my favorite movie's that involve music. Whether as part of the script or as just a concert movie. Aside from about a dozen Stones concert films (feel free to list them Stone heads!) here are some of 50s fav's
1) Purple Rain…Prince is introduced to white America. Performances by Morris Day & Apollonia are only overshadowed by the genius of Prince. Prince, already an MTV hit maker became a HUGE star from this movie.
2) 8 Mile…Eminem’s Purple Rain
3) The Last Waltz…The Band’s last concert. Appearances by Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Ronnie Hawkins, Chrystal Gayle, Joni Mitchell et al. I stop the remote surfing on whatever channel is playing this movie….every time.
4) The Runaway’s….The story of 4 Valley girls from the 818 who start a band and become rock stars. Great performances by Kristen Stewart as Joan Jett and sexy Dakota Fanning as Cherrie Currie…. “I Love Rock N Roll”
5) Cadillac Records…Great performance by Beyonce as Etta James and Mos Def as Chuck Berry. The story of Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Chuck Berry and Chess Records and how the blues became Rock N Roll. Highest recommendation from 50.
6) The Beach Boys; An American Family…Riveting look at the California kids that stole Chuck Berry’s riffs and made millions. Charles Manson and all the dirty laundry are aired out.
7) Saturday Night Fever…I still watch this one every time it comes on. The Bee Gees best work. John Travolta is too cool. And what a dancer. His best work until Pulp Fiction.
8) GREASE…Olivia Newton John in a tight black leather outfit. As a kid I was knocked down when I saw her. That is still the girl I chase here in sunny Cali all these years later.
9) The Song Remains The Same….The opening scene when Zep arrives at the airport and the police escort them to the venue is all shot in Pittsburgh. Once the concert begins it is Madison Square Garden. Led Zeppelin Rocks.
10) TOMMY….Appearances by Eric Clapton, Tina Turner and The Who are only overshadowed by Elton John as the Pinball Wizard.
11) Quadrophenia….Great flick about teenage angst. The prelude to grunge and a great appearance by Sting as Ace Face.
12) Singles…The Seattle single life revolving around the up and coming Seattle grunge scene. In concert footage at the bar features Alice In Chains and Soundgarden. (would have loved to hang out at that bar!) One of the characters, Matt Dillon, fronts a band called Citizen Dick. Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam play his band mates.
13) America Graffiti …The last night before college. Wolfman Jack’s big moment. Great soundtrack. This movie spawned hit TV series like “Happy Days” and “Laverne & Shirley” Where would Nick At Night be without this movie?
14) High Fidelity…John Cusack plays a record store owner. Jack Black is an employee that performs the musical breakout performance late in the movie, probably spawning Tenacious D. Any movie with an appearance by Bruce Springsteen makes my list.
15) Wizard Of Oz…Who hasn’t seen this movie a thousand times? Judy Garland begat her daughter Liza Minnelli. Two great singers in the music world. And how many rock stars do you think this movie inspired? Elton John “Goodbye Yellowbrick Road” for one. Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow for another. The Broadway musical “The Wiz” comes to mind as well.