To do that, they'll have to go through flight arrangements, getting him a clear locker space, and finding a way to absorb Brown's $3.6 million salary for the remainder of the 2013 season.
Over The Cap - one of the best football reference web sites you'll find - wrote Wednesday the Steelers had $1.86 million in cap space available as of Tuesday, and suggests the Steelers may have to go the restructuring route again.
OTC threw out Ryan Clark's name as a possible restructure candidate, but the Steelers do not negotiate new deals during the season. A restructuring of any player at this point would require quite a bit of faith, especially considering Steelers GM Kevin Colbert was the one who said this offseason, in front of the release and decision not to re-sign multiple players, they were players on an 8-8 team.
At 0-4, perhaps that tune changed a little bit.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- STEELERS TRADE: Deal finalized with Cardinals for OT Levi Brown
- Levi Brown trade: Everything we know
- Adams benched for Beachum
- Beachum's long, winding road
- Rams release Max Starks as Ravens trade for Eugene Monroe
- Steelers Postgame News, Updates and Analysis
- Report: Foster initially suffered chest injury in Week 3
- Ben: 'You could say we are the worst team in the league'