Wilson was recently demoted on the team's depth chart in favor of rookie Vince Williams. While it's too early to suggest there's any kind of position battle, Williams has not appeared to be long for the starting position - certainly not without some competition.
Sylvester was viewed positively by the team, but an injury in the preseason limited his ability to stay on the field - something he's had problems with in the past.He was a fifth-round draft pick out of Utah in 2009, and despite injuries, had managed to stay with the team until this preseason. He was projected last season as a possible replacement for released ILB James Farrior, but a knee injury in training camp limited his ability to compete for the spot. Larry Foote assumed the role, and was given a new contract before the 2013 season.
Sylvester worked out for the team earlier this week, according to Wilson.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers vs. Jets: Everything you need to know
- "Their Life's Work" should be required reading for Steeler Nation
- 5 Burning Questions on the Pittsburgh Steelers
- 2014 NFL Draft: Getting familiar with a few prospects
- Heyward over Hood: It's about time
- Ben likes what he's seeing from Bell
- Jets favored by three points
- Steelers gave Stevenson Sylvester a workout this week
- A second straight losing season could put Steelers on 'Hard Knocks'
- Heyward to start over Hood
- Willie Colon's peak-and-valley time in Pittsburgh
- Foster's high school number retired - after this season
- Thomas to receive more playing time with the Steelers base defense