Just over a year ago, Roethlisberger and his wife welcomed their first child, Ben Jr. She is expecting their second child as well. The events in his life around those two major announcements have been up and down.
The constant, at least over the last month, has been outstanding play on the field. It has resulted in Roethlisberger's first ever AFC Offensive Player of the Month award.
In four games in November - winning three of those four - Roethlisberger completed 97-of-157 passes for 1,188 yards. He also threw 11 touchdowns to three interceptions, a cumulative quarterback rating of 100.5. He was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance in a Week 11 win over the Detroit Lions.
Roethlisberger has been plagued by injuries down the stretch of the last two seasons. He missed Weeks 11-13, including both games against the Baltimore Ravens - Pittsburgh's Week 13 opponents - last year, and watch the Steelers drop from 6-3 to 8-8, losing five of six to be eliminated before Week 17 for the first time in nine years.
The Steelers continued that cold streak to start this season, but are among the hottest teams in the NFL now, with much of that credit going to Roethlisberger. They've won five of their last seven games, and travel to Baltimore with the chance to sweep the Ravens in a season for the first time since 2008. The Steelers have beaten the Ravens in two consecutive games dating back to last year, gutting out a split with Bryon Leftwich and Charlie Batch under center.
A win would also mark the first time since 2008 the Steelers would have beaten the Ravens in three straight games.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers vs. Ravens: News heading into Thanksgiving Night's game
- Steelers Film Room: Quick passing paces Steelers over Browns
- Polamalu named AFC Defensive Player of the Week
- Woods: My first start would mean a lot
- Quarterbacks don't want to share the ball
- Nose tackle depth, lack of prep time, advantage for Steelers
- Dick LeBeau: Ray Rice is one of the best backs who ever played
- Steelers Injury Report: Keisel, Thomas practice fully, not Woodley
- Does side matter for the Steelers?
- BTSC Week 13 Power Rankings
- Steelers Film Room: Style points awarded in rout of Browns