Prior to the game, the Ravens made it official; Pitta will not play against Pittsburgh, as the 4 p.m. ET Thursday deadline to activate the tight end passed with no movement on behalf of the Ravens.
Pitta suffered a hip injury in training camp, and was placed on the IR-Recall list to start the season. Pitta has been practicing for two weeks, and has one more week before the team must activate him, place him on IR for the rest of the year or release him.
Pitta is expected to play in the Ravens' Week 14 game against Minnesota.
His absence is nothing new for the Ravens, who have been without one of their best offensive weapons all season. It was a tough loss for a team transitioning on the offensive side of the ball. Pitta was figured to be a big part of their passing game with the trade of Anquan Boldin this offseason.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers vs. Ravens Gameday Stream: Everything you need to know
- The Standard is The Standard: Steelers vs. Ravens pregame podcast
- 5 Questions with Baltimore Beat Down
- Reasons the Steelers will beat the Ravens in Week 13
- Fantasy Football Week 13: Which Steelers to start/sit
- Steelers vs. Ravens Week 13 2013: Game time, TV schedule, online streaming, odds and more