The Steelers are going with some extra bulk over the last portion of the 2013 season.
Arnfelt showed promise during training camp, and, along with Nick Williams (who's on injured reserve) sparked some optimism about the future depth along the defensive line.
It's unlikely he'll be active for Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals, but with recent injuries to Brett Keisel (already ruled out for Sunday), Steve McLendon and Ziggy Hood, it could be a move in advance of placing Keisel on injured reserve (he's missed all but a few plays of the team's last four games) and bolstering the depth behind Hood.
The Steelers are all but eliminated from the playoffs, and may reach that point before kickoff. If throwing in the Terrible Towel isn't an option, getting some younger players some time with the first and second teams in practice isn't a bad idea.
- Bengals vs. Steelers Week 15 2013: Everything you need to know
- Continuing to root for the Steelers' postseason run
- Weekend Checkdown: the top stories of the week
- Bengals vs. Steelers key matchups: Le'Veon Bell vs. Vontaze Burfict
- 5 reasons the Steelers will beat the Bengals in Week 15
- Bengals vs. Steelers Week 15 2013: Game time, TV schedule, online streaming, odds and more