Indianapolis' Weslye Saunders has been suspended the first eight games this year for violating policy on performance enhancing substances.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) July 18, 2013
This is Saunders' second suspension, the first having come for the first four games in 2012 for the same violation.
It was reported Saunders had taken the prescription drug Adderall without obtaining prior approval from the league when he received his first suspension. There has been no confirmation on what triggered the most recent suspension.
Saunders has six catches for 44 yards and a touchdown in his once-promising NFL career. He signed with the Colts last season and former Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, but still has failed to live up to one of the more hyped undrafted free agents in recent memory.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Suspects claim Mike Adams started confrontation night he was stabbed
- Weslye Saunders suspended eight games for violation of substance abuse policy
- Steelers training camp talkers: wide receivers have questions, like, what can Brown do for you?
- BTSC on AM 1390 the Sports Animal in Youngstown, Ohio
- Over/Under for wins in 2013: Cincinnati Bengals
- Steelers offensive line depth chart: Gilbert or Adams, either will be a better left tackle than Starks
- 5 Burning Questions left by a busy offseason
- If Steeler Nation ruled the world
- Steelers are not only ones expecting Emmanuel Sanders to 'make the leap'
- Former Steelers C Jeff Hartings says he faked his way through concussion tests
- Steelers ranked 15th in recent PFT power rankings