Malone was signed earlier this offseason in replacement of Justin King, who was placed on injured reserve after clearing waivers.
Rabe, used mostly as a blocker in his two-year career at the University of Minnesota (he was a junior college All-America selection at Ellsworth College), is more of an H-back and an in-line tight end, and could see reps at fullback.
Steed, a teammate of Rams (and former Steelers practice squad) guard Ryan Lee at Furman, showed higher level potential in college. He signed with the Jets after being undrafted in 2012. He was released at the start of the season, and signed a futures contract with the Saints at the end of the year. He was released July 23.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Dick LeBeau preparing Steelers defense for up-tempo offenses
- Steelers Jarvis Jones: 'I brought it' in Backs on 'Backers drill
- Alan Baxter excited to be in Nikes, on Steelers
- Steelers TE David Paulson still a work in progress
- Steelers offense will still emphasize the run in 2013
- Steelers 53-man roster locks through early portions of training camp
- Steelers Roethlisberger confident in his receiving group without Mike Wallace
- Steelers training camp recap: First day in pads
- Steelers Injury Report: Absences from training camp not 'precautionary'
- Mike Tomlin considers Mike Adams fortunate to be ready for Steelers Training Camp