Like most everyone else, including Pro Football Focus, I was impressed with Al Woods on Saturday night. He seemed to be up in the grill of the offense, play after play, and finished with an impressive nine tackles, including two for loss, one sack, and one pressure. This led to him being named the Digest Player of the Week by Steelers.com's Bob Labriola.
Although I've heard Woods' name bandied about for a while now, I'm afraid I never took the time or trouble to figure out who he was. So I decided to find out a bit more. But rather than me just reeling off a bunch of stuff, I thought it might be fun to have a multiple-choice quiz about Woods. I wish I could do it with cool radio buttons, like a poll, but that doesn't appear to be an option. So we're going old-school here! Which means no cheating! This is not an open-internet test : )
A. Which phrase or phrases was used of Woods in pre-NFL scouting reports?
- One of the top backup defensive linemen on the squad and in the SEC...
- At the moment, Woods is all style and not much substance.
- Rebounded with a half-decent senior campaign.
- Could also be a big asset on the offensive line should there be a need for him there.
- All of the above.
- Choices #1 and #4
B. Woods' full name is:
- Alvin Waldron Woods
- Adolphus Albert Woods
- Al Joseph Woods
- Alan Abdieso Woods
- Al Elton Woods
- None of the above
C. Woods was born in:
- Aliquippa, Pennsylvania
- Paris, Texas
- East LA
- Birmingham, Alabama
- Jennings, Louisiana
- The USA
D. Woods was originally drafted by:
E. Woods was originally projected to go in the third round. He was actually taken in which round?
- He was undrafted.
F. Woods has played on which teams other than the Steelers? (Check all that are applicable)
- the Texas Rangers
- the Seattle Mariners
- the Seattle Seahawks
- the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- the Pittsburgh Pirates
- the New Orleans Saints
G. The head coach of the team who drafted him said when Woods was cut:
- "He reminded me of a fat lazy tub of goo."
- "It's better to cut your losses now and give the roster spot to the player that earned it."
- "Ultimately we didn't feel confident enough with where he was at right now."
- "I really don't know why we picked [him] after watching him being pushed around."
- "We cut our losses early rather than living with that mistake for three years."
- "I was really surprised how slow he looked."
- All of the above.
- None of the above.
H. At LSU Woods majored in:
- Sports Psychology
- Agricultural Leadership
- Liberal Studies
- General Studies
- Conservative Studies
- African-American Studies
I. After Woods was drafted his hometown held an "Al Woods Day." Some of the featured events/exhibits were:
- An ATV convo
- A fishing competition
- A pickup truck with a hot tub in the bed.
- A hush puppy fry
- A junior cheerleaders show
- A parade
- An autograph session
- All of the above
- Too many of the above to mention.