The Pittsburgh Steelers notoriously travel well, as they continue to fill up opponents stadiums with Terrible Towels and black and gold jerseys; however, according to TicketCity.com, their fans are only the fifth-most engaged.
Ticket City used several metrics to compile their overall rankings. Average total attendance for all games are figured in, although average home game attendance carries more weight. Ticket prices are figured in as well for all games, with home games worth more, in the same manner as attendance. Also included are percentage of stadium capacity sold, plus social media followers on Facebook and Twitter.
In their overall rankings, the Steelers came in fifth behind the Dallas Cowboys (1), New England Patriots (2), Green Bay Packers (3), and New York Giants (4). Pittsburgh also ranked in the top-five in individual categories: Average Median Home Ticket Price (5th, $199), Average Ticket Price All Games (2nd, $196), Most Facebook Likes (2nd, 4,901,523) and Most Twitter Followers (4th, 563,147)
Obviously, the amount of money paid for one's ticket in no way represents the individual's passion, loyalty and faith in the football team they root for; neither do social media census counts.
This was Ticket City's first such annual ranking. Pittsburgh fans do not like finishing anywhere but in first place. Making a run for another Super Bowl would more-than-engage Steelers fans worldwide, most likely skewing next year's ranking.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Injured Steelers working their way back on field for practice and preseason
- Hall of Fame Steelers show out at luncheon
- BTSC Yahoo! Fantasy Football League is open for members
- Steelers sign WR Tyler Shaw after placing Plaxico Burress on IR
- Steelers Injury Report: Plaxico Burress to IR, but not Matt Spaeth
- Steelers Cameron Heyward shows young leadership in helping Alameda Ta'amu
- New GM Whaley wants to model Buffalo Bills after Pittsburgh Steelers
- Steelers legend Rocky Bleier honored by wounded warriors retreat
- Steelers film breakdown: Impressive goal line stand highlights defensive effort against Giants
- Upon Further Review: GIF breakdowns from the Steelers 18-13 loss to the Giants