What kind of linebackers groups is he returning to? One considerably deeper than the one he vacated last year, judging by the performances of the inside 'backers in the Steelers' first preseason game.
Marshall McFadden was an on-again, off-again roster member last year, but didn't have the same level of explosion he showed in the loss to the Giants. Vince Williams was preparing for his senior season at Florida State.
Sylvester is now likely on the fringe of this roster, and, if Spence happens to begin the season on the team (something that can't be considered likely right now), he's likely not on this team.
Foote and Lawrence Timmons are the unquestioned starters, and will likely play over 90 percent of the Steelers' defensive snaps this year. However, with the youth infusion provided by McFadden, it gives the Steelers a few more options in terms of sub packages.
And to make it even more fun, what if Spence is able to suit up at some point in 2013? Let's make another hypothetical condition that he's at or right around the athleticism he displayed coming out of Miami in last year's draft. A nickel package involving Timmons and Spence is tantalizing. Or a bang package with Foote, Timmons and McFadden in a short-yardage situation is exciting.
While Spence's most likely outcome this year is to start on Injured Reserve with designation to return - a move that wouldn't be done until the Steelers have cut the team down to 53 players - he's currently on the PUP list, meaning it's still possible he's able to contribute early in the season.
The fact they haven't put Spence on injured reserve yet means there's still a chance - even if it's a Lloyd Christmas "one in a million" chance - he's on the Steelers' initial 53-man roster.
Imagine the results of Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and head coach Mike Tomlin spending time in the lab coming up with packages for a group of inside linebackers as athletic as this group potentially could be.
Maybe that's been the plan all along.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers roster battles: Final week of camp heats up
- Meet Tyler Shaw
- Media doesn't get James Harrison
- Steelers No. 18 in Power Rankings
- No timetable for Miller's return
- Steelers credited with fifth 'most-engaged' fan base
- Injured Steelers working their way back on field for practice and preseason
- Hall of Fame Steelers show out at luncheon
- Steelers sign WR Tyler Shaw after placing Plaxico Burress on IR
- Steelers Injury Report: Plaxico Burress to IR, but not Matt Spaeth
- Steelers Cameron Heyward shows young leadership in helping Alameda Ta'amu
- Steelers film breakdown: Impressive goal line stand highlights defensive effort against Giants
- Upon Further Review: GIF breakdowns from the Steelers 18-13 loss to the Giants