On the most recent depth chart released prior to the upcoming preseason game between the Steelers and the Washington Redskins on Monday night, Whimper takes the place of the injured Justin Cheadle as the second left guard behind starter Ramon Foster, and ahead of third-place Mike Golic Jr.
Granted, a depth chart is simply a formality in preseason action, and the team will play Whimper wherever they see fit; however the fact he is no longer in contention for a tackle position on paper may limit his chance to earn a final roster spot unless he can invoke more optimism with his interior play.
The depth chart also seems to capture the standing of Golic, who has impressed with his capacity for learning but disappointed with his ability to execute. Golic is probably shooting for a practice squad spot at this point, unless he can prove he belongs higher on the depth chart than Whimper.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers roster make-up certainly signifies start of new era
- Sean Spence's recovery still progressing, keeping alive hopes of athletic linebacker corps in 2013
- Steelers roster battles: Final week of camp could be final opportunity for fringe roster members
- Meet Tyler Shaw, the Steelers latest roster addition
- James Harrison doing what he does on 'Hard Knocks'
- Steelers remain at 18 in NFL.com Power Rankings
- Steelers have not set a timetable on the return of Heath Miller
- BTSC Fantasy Football Open Thread - mock draft with Zone Blitz
- Steelers credited with fifth 'most-engaged' fan base
- Injured Steelers working their way back on field for practice and preseason