The concept of co-starters is nothing new to the Pittsburgh Steelers, but co-backups? Such seems to be the case between offensive tackles Joe Long and D'Anthony Batiste behind left-side starter Mike Adams, per the latest depth chart.
It's not as if there weren't enough empty slots on the chart to give every man his own place. Kelvin Beachum remains the only backup listed on the right side behind starter Marcus Gilbert. Mike Farrell remains third on the left side. Seemingly the pairing of Long 'or' Batiste means they are competing for jobs, let alone depth chart positions.
Guy Whimper has officially been removed from tackle consideration now being listed as the second left-guard, leaving even less competition. Long and Batiste have only three preseason games remaining to prove who is the fittest to survive. Both men will certainly see more time than they did in the first game.
The Steelers resume their preseason schedule meeting the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field on Monday night.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers roster make-up certainly signifies start of new era
- Sean Spence's recovery still progressing, keeping alive hopes of athletic linebacker corps in 2013
- Steelers roster battles: Final week of camp could be final opportunity for fringe roster members
- Meet Tyler Shaw, the Steelers latest roster addition
- James Harrison doing what he does on 'Hard Knocks'
- Steelers remain at 18 in NFL.com Power Rankings
- Steelers have not set a timetable on the return of Heath Miller
- BTSC Fantasy Football Open Thread - mock draft with Zone Blitz
- Steelers credited with fifth 'most-engaged' fan base
- Injured Steelers working their way back on field for practice and preseason