Cross one off the inactive list.
Steelers cornerback Cortez Allen took part in non-contact coverage drills Friday, his first action since the first few days of training camp. He had minor knee surgery, and has been out for nearly all of training camp.
Tribune Review reporter Alan Robinson wrote Steelers defensive backs coach Carnell Lake doesn't know whether Allen will play at all in the Steelers' remaining three preseason games.
Robinson also touches on the Black and Gold Elephant in the room; the lack of turnovers the defense has created over the last two seasons. Allen is expected to contribute to an uptick in that number.
"It's an emphasis from him every year, but this year I feel highly confident in our ability to be in the top end in that category," Allen said. "We work on it each day and continue to build on it and put ourselves in a better position to make those plays."
Allen's time off is an extended interview for Josh Victorian and Isaiah Green, both of whom have filled in the secondary in sub packages. William Gay started at left cornerback, opposite Ike Taylor. Gay moved inside to cover the slot with Victorian covering the outside in nickel situations when the starting defense was on the field against the Giants.
Curtis Brown, another injured Steelers cornerback, returned to practice this week as well.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers training camp updates
- Ben paddles his way back to powerful territory
- Tomlin gives Le'Veon Bell a clean bill of health
- Weekend Checkdown
- Meet Jeremy Wright, the Steelers newest running back
- Dawson on All Madden 25 Team
- Le'Veon Bell's injury is minor, returns to the field Friday
- Steelers Pre-Season Injuries not Tomlin’s fault
- The Other Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback from Louisiana: Remembering Bubby Brister
- Ramon Foster not into training camp scrimmages
- Kelvin Beachum, the Steelers Swiss Army Knife, to take second-team reps at center