A sight for sore eyes, Cortez Allen returned to the Pittsburgh Steelers this week after missing time with a sore knee. While having him back in practice was good for the chemistry of the starting secondary, he will not start the team's second preseason game.
Gay may start on the outside, but expect the reserves to play the majority of the game as the team has some tough decisions to make in the defensive back department.
Curtis Brown is just returning from an injury of his own. Josh Victorian and Isaiah Green continue to duel for whatever roster spots are left, and now they also have to contend with rookie Terry Hawthorne who returned this week as well after recovering from off-season surgery to remove bone chips from his knee.
Coach Tomlin vowed to play the starters longer than he did against the New York Giants in the first preseason game, but with first cuts coming on August 27th, the team will be looking to evaluate their roster battles in game conditions.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers vs. Redskins StoryStream
- Brown a leader to young WRs
- Madden 25 rankings for Steelers offensive players
- Le'Veon Bell gets start vs. Redskins
- Tomlin: Observing in prime time spotlight
- Polamalu healthier, wiser
- Steelers 53 man roster projection
- Steelers organization greater than the sum of its parts
- Steelers roster bubble: Moorman vs. Butler
- Steelers vs. Redskins: 5 things to watch
- Steelers roster cheat sheet
- Steelers vs. Redskins: How to watch tonight's game
- Report says Heath Miller may miss first month of season
- Are the Steelers injury-prone? An in-depth look at the answer