Steelers back-up quarterback Bruce Gradkowski flicked a quick pass to fullback Will Johnson that led to a savage hit. The result of Johnson laying on the turf, a penalty for unnecessary roughness and Johnson eventually being taken off the field.
It was penalized for a helmet-to-helmet hit, but cameras showed Johnson on the sideline in pain while trainers looked at his side.
DeJon Gomes called for an ilegal helmet-to-helmet hit on FB Will Johnson, who is helped off the field.— Ron Musselman (@ronmusselman8) August 20, 2013
Considering the traffic around him, it seemed throwing it to Johnson would result in such a collision. While Gradkowski completed two throws to Emmanuel Sanders down the field, Sanders had to stretch for both of them.
He also hit an official on a first down throw that would have resulted in a first down to Jerricho Cotchery.
The Redskins were leading 14-3 at the time of the injury.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers vs. Redskins Postgame stream
- Winners and Losers from Monday's loss
- Le'Veon Bell has 'mid-foot' injury
- Steelers sloppy in preseason loss to Washington
- Le'Veon Bell injures foot in first quarter against Washington
- Cortez Allen out against Redskins
- 15 players on the bubble vs. Redskins
- Brown a leader to young WRs
- Madden 25 rankings for Steelers offensive players
- Le'Veon Bell gets start vs. Redskins
- Tomlin: Observing in prime time spotlight
- Polamalu healthier, wiser
- Steelers 53 man roster projection
- Steelers organization greater than the sum of its parts
- Steelers roster bubble: Moorman vs. Butler
- Steelers vs. Redskins: 5 things to watch