It's easy to get excited about a first and a second round pick. Perhaps the praise being heaped on running back Le'Veon Bell is getting a bit closer to "overboard" (comments from Bob Labriola Thursday included "Bell cannot be covered" by the linebackers he faced in a passing drill). Jones picked up his share of praise after tipping a Ben Roethlisberger screen pass and eventually coming down with the interception (Mark Kaboly wrote Jones has been studying Houston's J.J. Watt, who's made the tipped pass en vogue after his Defensive Player of the Year performance last year).
The fact Jones got on the field with the first team while LaMarr Woodley rested an alleged strained calf (which both seems like code for a veteran's day off, as well as the ailment that cost Troy Polamalu half the 2012 season) is encouraging just from a repetition standpoint. It seems more of a foregone conclusion that Bell would see more playing time this year than Jones anyway, but the building of Jones as a situation-based player while the base defense works to improve its pass rush on its own is encouraging.
It also may not mean good things for veterans like Chris Carter, who is pretty well stuck on the bubble right now.
Safeties Robert Golden and DaMon Cromartie-Smith also saw time, per Labriola.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers training camp updates
- Steelers Injury Report
- Steelers Training Camp Updates
- The Steelers Prodigal Son
- Embernate suffers major knee injury
- Steelers claim healthy defensive back off waivers for training camp
- Jets coach Rex Ryan considers Steelers coach Mike Tomlin one of his biggest rivals
- Steelers Day 6 training camp practice open thread
- Steelers GM Colbert says the offensive line's youth is a 'double-edged' sword
- Steelers LaMarr Woodley eager to get more pass rush opportunities
- An effective running game and how it translates to recent Super Bowl success
- Brace yourself: Mike Tomlin drawing 'fine line' between creating an edge and giving his players confidence
- Steelers Training Camp Recap: Live Wednesday from Latrobe for Day 5