The Pittsburgh Steelers announced their first round of roster cuts Sunday, according to the team's official website. Those released were:
RB Baron Batch
OT D'Anthony Batiste
OT Mike Farrell
WR David Gilreath
WR Tyler Shaw
WR J.D. Woods
CB Ryan Steed
RB Jeremy Wright
QB John Parker Wilson
TE Peter Tuitupou
The team also waived/injured guard Justin Cheadle and DeMarcus Van Dyke who both suffered 'significant' hamstring injuries during training camp practices. Inside linebacker Sean Spence was added to the team's regular season PUP list. Rookie defensive end Nicholas Williams was added to the reserve/injured list.
With Spence on the regular season PUP, the Steelers will receive a roster exemption for the beginning of the season until he is determined ready to return or placed on IR with N. Williams. Cheadle and Van Dyke will revert back to the Steelers IR list should they clear waivers.
NFL teams were required to have their 90 man off-season rosters trimmed down to 75 by 4 PM ET on Tuesday, August 27th. Rosters then must be further reduced to 53 on August 31st by 6 PM ET. However, the Steelers, like most other teams, wasted no time making their initial round of decisions after playing their third preseason game Saturday night against the Kansas City Chiefs.
By releasing players early, the unemployed will have the opportunity to find new jobs with new teams before final roster decisions have to be made.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers Roster Cuts: All news and info
- Heyward given top defensive grade by Pro Football Focus
- Cortez Allen is back
- NFL roster cuts: Bears release TE Leonard Pope
- Sean Spence lands on PUP list
- Jarvis Jones Injury Update: Steelers rookie linebacker expected to be ready for season opener
- Jarvis Jones injury update: Steelers believe rookie suffered 'deep bruise' per PFT unnamed source
- Steelers will make roster moves today
- Jarvis Jones injury: Steelers report Jones' test results are negative
- Projecting the Steelers 53-man roster following preseason loss to Chiefs
- Steelers roster cuts: Deadline to cut roster to 75 players 4 p.m. Tuesday
- Jarvis Jones Injury Update: Released from hospital tests inconclusive
- 5 things we learned in the Steelers loss to the Chiefs in Preseason Week 3
- Kelvin Beachum's time at tight end may continue