All five of those players - Williams, McFadden, Rolle, Wilson and Garvin - are key players to watch Thursday in the Steelers' final preseason game against Carolina. It's been an outstanding competition between all of them, and depending on how the whole roster will shake out, some of them are likely to not make the team despite having outstanding training camps.
Williams, McFadden and Rolle are where they are for a reason - even if it isn't the most solid reason. They still have the remaining few practices before the game to show why they belong on this team.
And for the sake of the sagging Steelers' special teams, where they would most likely contribute the most this season if they did make the team, a few plays there would certainly help their cause.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers Roster Cuts: How the Steelers are getting to 53
- Jarvis Jones Injury: Everything we know
- Roster Cuts: NFL's cruelest season
- Steelers depth chart depends on what the definition of 'or' is
- Williams replaces Sylvester on depth charts
- Johnson passes Paulson in TE battle of Davids
- Trim Woodley leading explosive Steelers defense
- Stephens-Howling returns to practice, provides stability
- Foote jokes with Jones, tells him he's soft
- Bruce Gradkowski and Landry Jones will get extra work for Steelers after release of John Parker Wilson
- Steelers Film Room: Why Steelers defensive lineman Brian Arnfelt makes this team
- Steelers roster cuts: the release three offensive linemen leaves depth chart undecided