QUARTERBACK (3) -- Ben Roethlisberger, Bruce Gradkowski, Landry Jones Comments: With John Parker Wilson already gone, none are needed. Jones out-performed Wilson in camp and also had an edge as a fourth-round draft pick.
RUNNING BACK (5) -- Le'Veon Bell, Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Will Johnson (FB) Comments: Redman and Stephens-Howling appear to be healthy now, and Dwyer has performed better than expected. Johnson is a lock as well. If the Steelers keep six, newcomer Felix Jones will be in ahead of Alvester Alexander, but Jones and Dwyer could be a toss-up at this point. The final preseason game could be the difference for them. Bell's status, whether it's a six-week injury or 2-4 weeks, could determine whether they keep five or six guys.
WIDE RECEIVER (5) -- Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery, Markus Wheaton, Derek Moye Comments: Moye, the local guy -- Rochester High School and Penn State -- edges Justin Brown for the final spot. If the Steelers keep the extra running back, both Moye and Brown will go on the practice squad. Kashif Moore and Reggie Dunn, lots of speed and no hands, are gone.
TIGHT END (3) -- Heath Miller, David Paulson, David Johnson Comments: Miller won't play for several weeks, likely returning after the bye week, but he has to be on the roster. Matt Spaeth likely will be placed on the IR-designated for return list. He will be back around midseason, and a roster move will need to be made then. What also could happen is that a tight end could be picked up when other teams make their final cuts. Jamie McCoy, Michael Palmer and Nathan Overbay won't stay.
OFFENSIVE LINE (9) -- Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster, David DeCastro, Mike Adams, Marcus Gilbert, Kelvin Beachum, John Malecki, Chris Hubbard, Joe Long Comments: This is another position that could be enhanced after final cuts. Rookie Chris Hubbard and first-year player Joe Long edge veteran Guy Whimper and rookies Mike Golic Jr. and Joe Madsen.
DEFENSIVE LINE (7) -- Ziggy Hood, Steve McLendon, Brett Keisel, Cameron Heyward, Al Woods, Hebron Fangupo, Brian Arnfelt Comments: Rookie Arnfelt edges 2012 draft pick Alameda Ta'amu. Woods could be the backup nose tackle, as well as at end in the game-day rotation.
OUTSIDE LINEBACKER (4) -- LaMarr Woodley, Jarvis Jones, Jason Worilds, Alan Baxter Comments: Baxter has played well, better than Carter (and even Worilds), so that makes the third-year player expendable.
CORNERBACK (6) -- Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, William Gay, Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian, Isaiah Green Comments: Green has been hurt, so Terry Hawthorne might squeeze into that final spot. Devin Green will be cut.
SPECIALIST (3) -- PK Shaun Suisham, P Brian Moorman, LS Greg Warren Comments: Since the Steelers haven't made the cut just yet, it means they weren't happy with Moorman's shank of a critical punt last week. In a close battle, he has had much better hang time than incumbent Drew Butler at punter and should still win the job unless he is extensively outplayed in the finale.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers Roster Cuts: How the Steelers are getting to 53
- Jarvis Jones Injury: Everything we know
- Isaac Redman: 'I'm not the starter right now'
- Baron Batch's injuries show how quick a career can be derailed
- Roster Cuts: NFL's cruelest season
- Steelers depth chart depends on what the definition of 'or' is
- Williams replaces Sylvester on depth charts
- Johnson passes Paulson in TE battle of Davids
- Trim Woodley leading explosive Steelers defense
- Stephens-Howling returns to practice, provides stability
- Foote jokes with Jones, tells him he's soft
- Bruce Gradkowski and Landry Jones will get extra work for Steelers after release of John Parker Wilson
- Steelers Film Room: Why Steelers defensive lineman Brian Arnfelt makes this team
- Steelers roster cuts: the release three offensive linemen leaves depth chart undecided