Steelers outside linebacker Jason Worilds missed Friday's practice with a big toe injury, and is considered day-to-day. He suffered the injury Thursday, and his missed practice time gives way to the Steelers first round pick, Jarvis Jones, opposite LaMarr Woodley.
Confirmation of the severity of the knee injury of rookie guard Nik Embernate was received Friday, and he did tear his ACL and MCL. A date for surgery had not been set. The recovery time for these injuries can be anywhere from nine months to a year or longer. He will likely miss the 2013 season.
The Steelers moved fellow undrafted rookie Mike Golic Jr. to guard - his collegiate position - after having taken snaps at right tackle through training camp. Golic also took some off-the-clock snaps at center. He reportedly did not look very strong at right tackle, but it seemed the team was more enamored with Embernate on the inside.
Cortez Allen had "minor" surgery Friday, and is expected to miss the next few weeks. William Gay will likely retain the starting position opposite Ike Taylor in Allen's absence, but it will be interesting to see if they move Gay inside in nickel situations as they have in the past. It's a good opportunity for Curtis Brown to earn a spot on the team. Josh Victorian will also compete in this spot.
Brown, whom Tribune-Review reporter Mark Kaboly wrote had his left thigh wrapped after practice, isn't expected to miss any time. Matt Spaeth and Brett Keisel missed Friday's practice as well.
The Steelers have a 2:55 p.m. open practice session Saturday. Their first preseason game is a week from today, Aug. 10, against the New York Giants.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Training Camp Updates
- Bell stealing training camp show
- Don't call Hood a comeback
- Timeout on Steelers TV windfall
- Interest in Batiste seems strange
- Baxter punting Robinson from Camp Darling title
- Steelers Injury Report
- Weekend Checkdown
- Steelers to work out OT D'Anthony Batiste
- Mike Adams, Marcus Gilbert switch sides during Steelers evening practice Friday
- Nik Embernate tore ACL, MCL at Thursday practice
- Friday night scrimmage open thread
- Former Steelers RB Chris Rainey patiently awaits second chance in NFL
- Steelers seeking safety from the Sharknado
- Saints rave over Keenan Lewis while Steelers suffer DB injuries
- Fallout from Cortez Allen injury to Steelers cornerback corps
- Cortez Allen out 'a few weeks' after minor knee surgery