It doesn't happen often the general loss of an undrafted rookie free agent is more newsworthy than the veteran signed to replace him, but that's what the Steelers have Saturday, placing Nik Embernate on injured reserve and signing offensive tackle D'Anthony Batiste.
We have signed veteran OT D’Anthony Batiste and placed OT Nik Embernate on the Waived/Injured List.— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) August 3, 2013
Batiste was one of the main contributors to the shockingly bad pass protection unit in Arizona last season. In 10 games, he managed to rack up the second-worst pass blocking grade by Pro Football Focus, and it didn't seem to be surprising he wasn't brought back to the Cardinals.
The Steelers signed him, though.
For what it's worth, the Steelers have signed two of PFF's 10 worst pass blocking tackles in 2012 - Guy Whimper (9th) was signed earlier this offseason.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers will wear throwback jerseys in Week 11 vs. Detroit Lions
- Hype surrounding Le'Veon Bell is similar to that of Mike Wallace in 2009
- Ziggy Hood not calling it a comeback
- Time out called on hopes of a Steelers TV revenue windfall
- Interest in D'Anthony Batiste seems strange for the Steelers
- Alan Baxter turning into the Adrian Robinson of the 2013 Steelers training camp
- Steelers Injury Report: Jason Worilds out Friday
- Weekend Checkdown: the top stories of the week
- Steelers to work out OT D'Anthony Batiste
- Mike Adams, Marcus Gilbert switch sides during Steelers evening practice Friday