According to O-R reporter Dale Lolley and others, the Steelers will make their roster decisions known by 4 p.m. ET Saturday.
#Steelers will make roster moves by 4 p.m. today— Dale Lolley (@dlolleyor) August 31, 2013
The league deadline for finalizing the team's 53-man roster is 6 p.m. ET. Depending on how many players the Steelers cut - 22 would get them to 53, but they can cut more than that if they want to leave some space open for another signing - their actions after that may suggest more moves are coming.
As it sits right now, it doesn't appear any surprise cuts will take place, but that's far from a guarantee. The competitive side of fielding a roster is one aspect, but the financial piece is another. An example of that is the battle at punter between incumbent Drew Butler and veteran Brian Moorman looked pretty close. Moorman is scheduled to make a bit more money than Butler is.
Either way, we'll know more as the afternoon drags on, so stay tuned.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers roster cuts: Everything we know
- Risk and reward of pursuing free agent OT J'Marcus Webb
- Cuts to come by 4 p.m. ET
- Practice squad rules and which Steelers are eligible
- NFL roster cuts of interest to the Steelers - UPDATES
- Weekend Checkdown
- Some notable players released
- Steelers will announce roster cuts Saturday
- Chargers release Max Starks
- Dennis Dixon, Adrian Robinson cut by Eagles
- Keeping six running backs, Felix Jones in particular, adds special teams depth
- Little has changed in running backs group
- Final 53 man roster predictions
- Colbert: No contracts being negotiated
- 5 things we learned this preseason Follow @NealCoolong