If Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is going to show anything this season, it seems like that would be his desire to run a physical training camp.
It wears on players after a while, and perhaps getting them to play with certain "training camp bumps and bruises," as Tomlin would say, is part of that plan.
He wants to see how tough this team is.
Tight end Matt Spaeth had his knee drained Friday and did not practice Saturday. Defensive end Brett Keisel was given a veteran's day off. Lawrence Timmons, Steve McLendon, Jarvis Jones and Le'Veon Bell all missed practice.
Is it too physical in Latrobe?
On one hand, obviously, a coach doesn't want his players to get hurt, but on the other, setting a tone this season that the expectation is to play through minor injuries - as is simply the nature of playing football at this level. Plus, giving them a day off here and there is perfectly acceptable.
Bell, for example, has been taking a good amount of carries during live 11-on-11 practices. If his knee is bruised, he can rest up a little bit without grave consequences - he showed he's capable of playing well.
The team lost cornerback Cortez Allen to knee surgery stemming from an injury he suffered on the first day of the Football in Shorts period of training camp. Offensive guard Nik Embernate is out for the year with a torn ACL.
The rest appear to be bumps and bruises - a small price to pay to establish the tone a physical, aggressive team is expected from the coaching staff this season.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Le'Veon Bell sitting out Saturday with ice on his left knee
- Steelers sign OT D'Anthony Batiste Saturday, place Embernate on injured reserve
- Steelers Saturday practice open thread
- Steelers will wear throwback jerseys in Week 11 vs. Detroit Lions
- Hype surrounding Le'Veon Bell is similar to that of Mike Wallace in 2009
- Ziggy Hood not calling it a comeback
- Time out called on hopes of a Steelers TV revenue windfall
- Interest in D'Anthony Batiste seems strange for the Steelers
- Alan Baxter turning into the Adrian Robinson of the 2013 Steelers training camp
- Steelers Injury Report: Jason Worilds out Friday