Odds are pretty good, like "Wild Thing" Ricky Vaughn, Titus Young won't be able to make it to Steelers training camp this year. Sadly, odds might be better Terrell Owens would get a call, but that won't happen.
Chad Johnson? No.
Going down the list of available free agent wide receivers the Steelers might give a call in wake of the rotator cuff tear suffered by Steelers WR Plaxico Burress Thursday, it seems the truest statement that can be made is "they're still free agents for a compelling reason."
Most likely, the Steelers will look to bump up some of their younger guys into spots Burress might normally fill and see if, as Steelers coach Mike Tomlin would say, the game isn't too big for them.
Derek Moye and J.D. Woods are compelling candidates heading into Saturday's preseason opener against the Giants (7:30 p.m. ET). Kashif Moore has made a play or two in camp, and don't rule out 2012 Training Camp Darling David Gilreath.
Let's not forget Reggie Dunn (cue choir of angels). He's runs in the 4.2 range.
Jerricho Cotchery was also fairly viewed as a possible bubble player in this training camp, but it would be harder for the Steelers to release him now; ironically he'd become perhaps the strongest receiver on the market now if he was released.
It would be more fitting for the Steelers to continue with their preparations for the Giants game than to make any moves toward the roster. After the game, though, they may add someone, when they formally place Burress on injured reserve.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers Training Camp Updates
- LT Adams and RT Gilbert could be permanent
- Thursday training camp recap
- Burress possibly out for season with torn rotator cuff
- Preseason Steelers vs. Giants: Seven players who need to shine in week one
- National Steelers Bar Tour kicks off this Saturday
- Steelers Roster: TE Michael Palmer claimed off waivers
- Cardinals sign former Steelers DE Cordian Hagans
- Steelers players pulling for the Pirates
- Steelers Severe Injury Storm 2013 rivaling the one of 2012 that swept through Latrobe
- Plaxico Burress injury: veteran receiver hurts shoulder during Thursday practice
- Sean Spence injury: Reporter notes seeing him in workouts, he doesn't 'look like a guy who will be out all season'