Update: What was your favorite Alameda Ta'amu/Marshall McFadden moment? Both have found their way out west since being released by the Steelers.
Update: The Denver Broncos have claimed former Steelers OLB Adrian Robinson after he was released by the Eagles in their final cuts.
The Steelers have announced the signings of their 2013 Practice Squad: The roster itself was something of a surprise, so the practice squad, eight members strong, is liable to contain a surprise or two.
Offensive linemen Chris Hubbard and Joe Long, running back Alvester Alexander, defensive lineman Brian Arnfelt, outside linebackers Alan Baxter and Terence Garvin, defensive back Devin Smith and wide receiver Justin Brown.
You'll notice nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu is not on this list. That's something of a surprise, considering the Steelers traded up in the 2012 NFL Draft to select him in the fourth round, only to have him not even a part of the organization a little over a year later.
He wasn't the only wasted draft pick. Also not retained is 2013 fifth round pick Terry Hawthorne. After spending some time on the injured list this preseason, Hawthorne apparently didn't do enough to stick around.
It's possible either Ta'amu or Hawthorne did not clear waivers and will sign to another team's 53-man roster. Such are the risks of releasing younger players.
Running back Alvester Alexander is probably the biggest surprise of the eight who signed. Little more than an afterthought, the small-school rookie had 43 yards on 15 carries this preseason.
Some notable exceptions are OL Mike Golic Jr., LB Marshall McFadden, CB Josh Victorian and S Ross Ventrone.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Jonathan Dwyer's release: Everything we know
- Isaac Redman preparing as the starting running back
- It's no longer 'Todd Haley's offense,' it's 'the Steelers offense'
- Steelers roster cuts: Everything we know
- Meet Zoltan Mesko and Antwon Blake, the newest Steelers roster additions
- Steelers name their four captains for the 2013 season
- Steelers sign Zoltan Mesko, Antwon Blake after releasing Drew Butler, Isaiah Green
- Is Colbert refining his strategy?
- Steelers 2013 season preview in 9 questions
- Dwyer lining up workouts, as reported by Baltimore Sun
- Geno Atkins signs 5-year extension with Bengals
- Report: Steelers coaches not behind Dwyer's release Follow @NealCoolong