NFL Media columnist Michael Silver interviewed Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley in wake of the Steelers' Week 2 game against the Cincinnati Bengals, and Haley, sort of uncharacteristically, revealed a bit of eye-opening information.
According to the general outline provided by Around the League writer Dan Hanzus:
Haley told Silver that Pouncey's injury got into the head of guard David DeCastro, who accidentally plowed into the back of Pouncey's right leg while attempting to make a cut block.
While it would explain DeCastro's postgame insistence on focusing solely on moving forward, refusing to comment on the play itself, it would certainly be disappointing to learn that was the case.
Injuries in the NFL happen frequently (particularly on this team), and DeCastro may have made a mistake on the play, but it's certainly not something people would want to hear affected him for the remainder of the game.
What's more, is it certainly calls to light the decision to have Kelvin Beachum serve as the team's center - basically an admission Beachum was serving in an emergency capacity at the same time he was serving as an emergency tight end.
It's understandable why DeCastro might feel that way, having missed the vast majority of his rookie season due to a knee injury caused by a collapsing teammate - Marcus Gilbert fell over DeCastro's knee during the Steelers' preseason game at Buffalo last year.
According to Hanzus, though, Haley provided a clearer higher-level perspective, confirming the lack of reason to fear this was simply a kid who was upset with himself for making a mistake.
Haley believes the Steelers can re-group by leaning on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to carry the team until the running game can get on its feet and tight end Heath Miller is able to return to the lineup.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers vs. Bengals: Everything you need to know
- Steelers bring Graham to Cincinnati even as Suisham was listed as probable
- James Harrison represents the past, and the Steelers future is clear
- McLendon to show off ballet background on Monday Night Countdown segment
- Polamalu praises Thomas, who was surprised at his promotion
- An open letter to James Harrison
- The Steelers can be better without Maurkice Pouncey
- 5 reasons why the Steelers will beat the Bengals
- Being 'thoughtfully non-rhythmic' against Andy Dalton
- Steelers vs. Bengals: Key matchups: Bengals DEs vs. Steelers OTs
- Week 2 2013: Game time, TV schedule, online streaming, odds and more Follow @NealCoolong