No one was happier about making the Pittsburgh Steelers final 53-man roster than Isaiah Green. He was waived the very next day in favor of special teams contributor Antwon Blake. After clearing waivers with no suitors, Green was signed to the Steelers practice squad on Tuesday.
Green beat out veteran Josh Victorian to be the team's final cornerback, but a lack of quality special teams participants created a need for a person of Blake's skill set; however, Green's proficiency in pass coverage continued to hold a place in the mind of the organization. Returning to the fold will allow him to continue to grow within the system.
To make room for Green on the scout team, the Steelers parted ways with another cornerback, Devin Smith. Smith did not draw the same reviews as Green in practices, but his effort continued to demand attention. He made a beautiful sideline interception during a preseason game, exhibiting good focus, determination and on-field awareness as he caught the pass falling out of bounds while managing to get both feet down in the field of play, and without losing the ball going to the ground.
Perhaps the Steelers will revisit Smith again later in the season as scout team positions become available, but for now they have the man they seemed to want from the beginning in Green.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers Jarvis Jones once scored 20 points on Blake Griffin, bailed out on a dunk
- The case for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013: Part Two
- 5 Burning Questions as the Steelers begin 2013
- Ben Roethlisberger 'oddly underrated as an MVP candidate'
- Revolving Corps: The fans miss Mike Wallace already, but will the Steelers offense?
- Kelvin Beachum will continue getting looks as tight end
- Report: Giants hosting former Steelers running back Jonathan Dwyer, Beanie Wells in wake of Andre Brown injury
- Titans at Steelers: Mike Tomlin concerned with Jake Locker's ability to run
- Steelers start/sit Fantasy Football advice: Give Isaac Redman a look in Week 1
- Titans vs. Steelers: The importance of Jason Worilds' opportunity to start this weekend