We're tweaking the format of the picks this year a little bit. We'll focus on one game, and provide insight on those teams. We'll have our own separate Steelers pregame section as we've done in the past, but this article will focus on the whole league. - nc
Baltimore at Denver
A re-match of the divisional playoff overtime playoff game last year, two different teams will face each other. The defending Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens have beefed up their defensive line and removed (or had taken away) a huge chunk of their offensive production from last year.
That defensive line is going to be the difference for the Ravens this season, starting tonight.
Denver just simply won't have the protection to keep quarterback Peyton Manning safe. Not that their deep attack is a huge concern anyway, but the lack of ability to test that new-look secondary of the Ravens, they're going to rely heavily upon Manning's ability to get the ball to Wes Welker in the short field.
They're going to have to move up and down the field incrementally, and even for Manning, that will be a tough task against a Ravens defense that has improved quite a bit up front - if even for a questionable secondary.
Still, the return of Lardarius Webb will yield a positive end result, and the Ravens won't be challenged often in this game.
Ravens 24, Broncos 14
New England 38, Buffalo 10
Cincinnati 31, Chicago 17
Cleveland 20, Miami 17
Detroit 27, Minnesota 13
Indianapolis 24, Oakland 10
New Orleans 31, Atlanta 27
Tampa Bay 21, New York Jets 6
Steelers 16, Titans 6
Seattle 23, Carolina 17
Kansas City 27, Jacksonville 13
St. Louis 16, Arizona 9
Green Bay 31, San Francisco 24
Dallas 26, Giants 23
Washington 24, Philadelphia 17
Houston 31, San Diego 10
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- DeCastro feels 'more prepared' this season
- Redman sturdy, short-burst chaos
- Terence Garvin hits a trifecta
- Titans vs. Steelers: 5 Questions with Music City Miracles
- Week 1 NFL Picks
- Woodley is not a part-time player...except for the last two seasons
- Steelers linebacker Vince Williams is wearing No. 98, gives respect to Casey Hampton
- Enjoy these idle (idol) days, Le'Veon
- Which Titans player would you want to see on the Steelers?
- Steelers sign Isaiah Green to practice squad, release Devin Smith
- Steelers Jarvis Jones once scored 20 points on Blake Griffin, bailed out on a dunk
- The case for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013: Part Two
- 5 Burning Questions as the Steelers begin 2013