After spending way too much time watching men run around doing drills I have soured on a few players I thought I wanted and become an even bigger fan of others I already had my eye on, as well as noticing a few new names I didn't really know that much about like many of you probably have too.
For me the best thing about watching the combine on NFL Network is listening to Mike Mayock. He is "THE" draft guru for me, perhaps his Steeler roots makes me biased towards him but his insights are extremely informative and his stories and one liners often hilarious. Listening to him and Deion Sanders talk back and forth made the final day of the combine actually entertaining.
I have passed comment on a few mocks and draft suggestions I have seen around this site and I thought it was only fair I put up a mock to enable people to tell me what an ass I am in return.
Mock Version 1.0
- Round 1 - Depending on who is still there I would want one of Mike Evans WR Texas A&M, CJ Mosley Alabama ILB, Justin Gilbert OSU CB or HaHa Clinton-Dix FS Alabama. Assuming they all are - Mike Evans WR Texas A&M.
- Round 2 - If a player like Ra'Shede Hageman DE Minnesota or Kony Ealy DE Missouri fell to the Steelers at this point I would take him but very unlikely. Zack Martin OT Notre Dame, Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech, Jordan Mathews WR Vanderbilt, Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss or Dee Ford OLB Auburn are also a possible option here but I would go - Kyle Van Noy LB BYU.
- Round 3 (Comp) - At this point I am after the best DB available that fits and I am assuming one of Stanley Jean Baptiste CB Nebraska, Pierre Desir CB Lindenwood, Jason Verrett CB TCU or Terrence Brooks FS Florida State is there. Assuming they all are - Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska.
- Round 4 - Will be a case of find a name that has fallen that fits a need. I am expecting names like Taylor Hart DE Oregon, Keith McGill CB Utah, Jeremiah Attaochu OLB Georgia Tech and Jared Abbrederis WR Wisconsin. If they all are - Taylor Hart DE Oregon.
- Round 5 - Much like in round 4 looking for value that fits a need, that has fallen a bit. I am expecting names like Jeff Janis WR Saginaw Valley State, Dontae Johnson FS, North Carolina State, Jerick McKinnon RB Georgia Southern, Max Bullough ILB MIchigan State, Chris Borland ILB Wisconsin to be available so - Dontae Johnson FS North Carolina State.
- Round 5 (Comp) - I am going to assume a few of the names above are still there so - Jerick McKinnon RB Georgia Southern.
- Round 6 - Bit of a crap shoot at this point as to who is still available so bit a favorite of mine that is not even guaranteed to be drafted due to his off field issues but has high to mid round talent - Colt Lyerla TE Oregon.
- Round 7 - A combine pick up here for me - Lavelle Westbrooks CB Georgia Southern.
Not sure how many times this will change before now and draft day but it is a start. Feel free to criticize at will.