This is the first time I ever attempted a mock draft. I tried to look over other sites to come up with some team needs and to get a feeling of how teams may lean come draft day. Of course it is all a guessing game just for fun and everything changes after free agency. In my mock, I decided not to have any trades and just pick where each team falls.
1. Houston Texans-- DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina-- Houston decides to go with the uber-athletic defensive stud and improve their defense with one pick.
2. St. Louis Rams-- WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson-- The Rams decide to give Bradford a #1 receiver with their 1st pick knowing they need to score against 3 tough divisional defenses.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars-- QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M-- Jacksonville knows they don't just need to improve their team they also need to improve attendance so they give the team a personality to identify with.
4. Cleveland Browns-- QB Blake Bortles, UCF-- Cleveland will once again take a swing at the franchise QB pitch and since they still regret letting Big Ben slip through their fingers they pick the guy who most resembles him.
5. Oakland Raiders-- QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville-- The Raiders are ecstatic that one of the top 3 QBs fall in their lap at pick 5.
6. Atlanta Falcons-- OT Greg Robinson, Auburn-- Missing out on Clowney, the Falcons decide to take the most athletic OL in the draft to protect Ryan.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers-- OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M-- New coach Lovie Smith starts his new reign by building from the trenches.
8. Minnesota Vikings-- OLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo-- Missing out on the top 3 QBs, the Vikings take the best player available and get a great future defensive star.
9. Buffalo Bills-- WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M-- With Mack gone the Bills decide to add a top flight offensive target at WR.
10. Detroit Lions-- S HaHa Clinton-Dix, Alabama-- Detroit who were thinking of targeting WR here decide to replace their departing safety with many scouts' opinion of the best safety in the draft.
11. Tennessee Titans-- LB Anthony Barr, UCLA-- The Titans will need an outside rusher in their new defensive scheme and Barr seems to have a lot of upside in that specialty.
13. St. Louis Rams-- OT Zach Martin, Notre Dame-- After getting Bradford a target to throw to earlier now the Rams focus on keeping him upright.
14. Chicago Bears-- DT Aaron Donald, Pitt-- Chicago looks to upgrade their DL with a quick DT that can give a pass rush up the middle.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers-- CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State-- The Steelers waste no time in getting this pick to the podium, but of course (Neal) we all know this will never happen.
16. Dallas Cowboys-- DT Timmy Jernigan, Florida State-- Cowboys will be happy adding a quality player to their defensive line.
17. Baltimore Ravens-- WR Marquis Lee, USC-- Since the Ravens made Flacco a $100 million man they now have to try and give him some targets to throw the ball to.
18. N.Y. Jets-- TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina-- With a young, inexperience QB the Jets try to supply him with a QBs best friend the good TE.
19. Miami Dolphins-- OT Cyrus Kouandijio, Alabama-- Everyone knows the Dolphins have to do something with the mess their OL has become in the locker room.
20. Arizona Cardinals-- S Calvin Pryor, Louisville-- The Cardinals try and improve the backside of an already impressive defense.
21. Green Bay Packers-- WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State-- The Packers elect to give Rogers another target
22. Philadelphia Eagles-- CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State-- The Eagles need help stopping opponents' offenses and get a pleasant surprise when the 2nd rank CB falls to 22.
23. Kansas City Chiefs-- DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame-- The Chiefs try to get stronger in the defense front 7.
24. Cincinnati Bengals-- LB Ryan Shazier, Ohio State-- The Bengals need some LB help and decide to go with the home state guy.
25. San Diego Chargers-- DE/OLB Dee Ford, Auburn-- The Chargers need a pass rush and decide Ford is the best candidate available.
26. Cleveland Browns-- WR Odell Beckham Jr., LSU-- Having taken yet another stab at the franchise QB the Browns decide to make sure he has plenty of targets.
27. New Orleans Saints-- LB C.J. Mosely, Alabama-- Saints needing some defensive help decide to take the best player available and get a steal.
28. Carolina Panthers-- DE Kony Ealy, Missouri-- The Panthers try and shore up their defensive front seven.
30. San Francisco 49ers-- CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech-- With not many needs the Niners try to improve the backside of their defense.
31. Denver Broncos-- DT Rashade Hageman, Minnesota-- The Broncos need defensive help and decide to start with the DL.
32. Seattle Seahawks-- DE Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame-- The Seahawks go ahead and try to find Red Bryant's replacement.
33. Houston Texans-- QB Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois-- The Texans gamble and try to get lucky and find a franchise QB in the 2nd round
34. Washington Redskins-- CB Jason Verrett, TCU-- The Redskins have many needs and CB is a glaring one.
35. Cleveland Browns-- RB Carlos Hyde, Ohio State-- The Browns need a RB to go with their new QB and they decide to take the home state favorite (because God knows they need to do something to make their fans happy).
36. Oakland Raiders-- OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA-- The Raiders need to improve the interior of their offensive line.
37. Atlanta Falcons-- TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington-- The Falcons try to find a replacement for Tony Gonzales.
38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers-- DT Dominique Easley, Florida-- The Bucs' new coach still building from the trenches only on the defensive side this time.
39. Jacksonville Jaguars-- RB Kadeem Carey, Arizona-- MJD is a free agent and not getting any younger so the Jags try to find a replacement.
40. Minnesota Vikings-- QB Derek Carr, Fresno State-- Seeing all the top QBs gone and needing one badly the Vikings take a gamble.
41. Buffalo Bills-- OG David Yankey, Stanford-- Needing help in the interior of the OL the Bills take the best option on the board.
42. Tennessee Titans-- OT Morgan Moses, Virginia-- Having gone defense in the 1st, the Titans try to get an improvement on the OL.
43. N.Y. Giants-- DE Scott Crichton, Oregon State-- The Giants need to improve the defensive line.
44. St. Louis Rams-- S Deone Bucannon, Washington State-- Having gone all offense in the 1st round the Rams elect to try to improve their defensive secondary now.
45. Detroit Lions-- CB LaMarcus Joyner, Florida State-- The Lions continue to try and improve their secondary.
46. Pittsburgh Steelers-- WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt-- Even with some good defensive options here the Steelers elect to get Big Ben another WR.
That is where I am stopping with my mock draft, but here is how I have the rest of the Steelers draft going:
3rd Rd Comp-- S Terrance Brooks, Florida State
4th Rd-- OLB Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas
5th Rd-- RB/WR/KR Dri Archer, Kent State
5th Rd Comp-- DT Justin Ellis, Louisiana Tech
6th Rd-- CB Aaron Colvin, Oklahoma
7th Rd-- Either the best OLB or TE prospect available.
So there you have it, please feel free to give opinions and to tell me how much I screwed up, maybe I'll listen and try again.