Guy Whimper replaced him at right tackle, curiously, ahead of Mike Adams, who filled in for Kelvin Beachum at left tackle last week. Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley went down with a calf injury a few series ahead of Gilbert.
The Steelers have suffered injuries to every position on its offensive line this year. Cody Wallace is the third center to start a game for the team this year, and both guards, Ramon Foster and David DeCastro, have missed games.
Gilbert hasn't missed a game, but he's left in the middle of a game previously.
The Steelers led 7-0 at the time of the injury. Cincinnati has a chance to pull into the second seed in the AFC playoff hunt with a win. The Steelers aren't eliminated yet, but sit on the brink.
- LaMarr Woodley injury: Steelers linebacker leaves game with calf injury
- Steelers inactives: McLendon won't play vs. Cincinnati in Week 15
- Bengals vs. Steelers: Playoffs or not, the players who earned it should play
- Steelers Mike Tomlin not interested in coaching in college
- Report: Dolphins coach fined for tripping an official while on the field during game against Steelers