It most likely end his rookie season just a few practices in, and far away from any possible roster decision that could have been made.
He had his knee rolled over as his cleat was planted in the ground during the Steelers' training camp practice Thursday.
Embernate was reportedly impressive in camp. The undrafted free agent from San Diego State looked to be a left guard, and his combination of power and quickness made it seem like he could have been a future starter.
Rehab will await him, and possibly he'll give it a run next season.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Former Steelers RB Chris Rainey patiently awaits second chance in NFL
- Steelers seeking safety from the Sharknado
- Saints rave over Keenan Lewis while Steelers suffer DB injuries
- Fallout from Cortez Allen injury to Steelers cornerback corps
- Cortez Allen out 'a few weeks' after minor knee surgery
- Tomlin not giving Mike Adams any slack from stabbing
- Former high school teammates Chris Hubbard and Jarvis Jones back together with Steelers
- Steelers training camp recap: Day 7 sees first two picks in draft making plays
- Steelers Injury Report: Embernate latest victim on the Steelers' offensive line
- Steelers William Gay happy to return home and family