To clarify all the inquiries, Felix Jones is slated to play in some capacity tonight (kick returns, possibly RB). He will wear #23.— Burt Lauten (@SteelersPRBurt) August 24, 2013
Post Gazette reporter Gerry Dulac wrote Saturday it is "unknown" whether recently acquired running back Felix Jones will play against the Chiefs Saturday. Along with that, he reported LaRod Stephens-Howling may miss the rest of the preseason with a medial collateral ligament sprain.
Stephens-Howling, along with Le'Veon Bell, being injured is likely the reason the Steelers traded Adrian Robinson for Jones in the first place. RBs Isaac Redman and Baron Batch are both recovering from stingers suffered in the Steelers' loss to Washington Monday.
That leaves Jonathan Dwyer as the only as-of-now uninjured Steelers running back. Knowing that, the acquisition of Jones, who reportedly wasn't impressive in training camp with the Eagles, suggests he isn't a lock for the roster, and could be brought in the same way Jason Ford and DuJuan Harris were brought in last season - to run late in the final two preseason games.
Stephens-Howling has been the Steelers' most impressive running back in the preseason. He was injured, however, and hasn't played since a 40-yard performance against the Giants' first team in Pittsburgh's first preseason game.
The Steelers kick off against the Chiefs at 7:30 p.m. ET Saturday. Confirmation of which running backs will be suited up will likely come before the game.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Chiefs vs. Steelers Preseason Week 3 Gameday Stream
- Adrian Robinson for Felix Jones Trade: Everything we know
- Woodley set to take on first overall pick
- Source: Stephens-Howling not expected to play, still could play a few snaps
- ESPN backs out of concussion documentary
- Weekend Checkdown
- 5 Questions with the enemy
- Gameplan to be implemented vs. Chiefs
- 15 Steelers on the bubble heading into Saturday's game vs. Chiefs
- Which Steelers player would you take right now? (From Arrowhead Pride)
- What worries you about playing the Kansas City Chiefs Saturday?
- David Paulson hears fans cheering for Heath Miller when he catches a pass