That may or may not have been indirectly true.
The league announced Friday Winslow has been suspended for four games for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.
The Jets also may be without cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who is nursing a knee injury suffered this week in practice. Rookie CB Dee Milliner, whom the Jets took 9th overall, is already out (hamstring).
As for tight end, Winslow has 17 catches for 169 yards and two touchdowns. Jeff Cumberland has seven catches for 139 yard and two touchdowns. They seem ok without the presence of The Soldier.
Still his presence, as well as that from Santonio Holmes (also out for this game) makes it a little less fun. It's disappointing to see Winslow fail a test for such substances, though. He always seemed like a really good guy. Ahem.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers vs. Jets: Everything you need to know
- The Standard is The Standard Show, Steelers vs. Jets Week 6
- Steelers add Kion Wilson to practice squad, release Alan Baxter
- Polamalu: 'If attitude won games, we'd go out and get cheerleaders'
- LeBeau is 15-2 against rookie quarterbacks, like Jets Geno Smith
- Steelers vs. Jets Preview: Gut check time at MetLife Stadium
- Denial of locker room games sending the right message
- Wilkerson was taken one spot ahead of Heyward
- Denial of locker room games sends new message
- Steelers continue trend of re-treads