Wheaton broke his pinkie finger against Minnesota in Week 6 and had surgery over the bye weekend.
Ramon Foster has a strained pectoral, and told ESPN's Scott Brown among others he was limited in practice, and is taking it day-to-day.
"I think it’s a pain tolerance thing right now and how much you can do with it," Foster said, as quoted by Brown.
Recently acquired Levi Brown took reps at left tackle in practice along with Beachum. Brown is expected to assume the position, vacated by the demotion of Mike Adams after the Steelers' Week 4 loss to Minnesota.
The Steelers (0-4) are facing a Jets team in a similar bipolar position as far as getting their offenses and defense playing well at the same time. The Jets have their Week 5 game Monday at Atlanta.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Rotating defensive ends in Week 6
- Bell preparing for the start of his featured back career
- Three stabbed in fight after insults over Penguins, Steelers
- "Bad" Tomlin no worse than "bad" Cowher
- L.C. Greenwood funeral Monday
- Steelers Injury Report: Roethlisberger, Foster, Wheaton all nicked up before bye
- Steelers back to practice Monday
- Terry Bradshaw never questioned his injuries
- Sanders says he's a No. 1 receiver
- Jarvis Jones not pleased with his play so far
- NFL All Pro Defensive team through Week 4
- Weekend Checkdown: the top stories of the week
- Defensive concepts to maximize Steelers' effectiveness
- Steelers defense coming to grips with his place in league stats