On to Round 2.
Steelers take Limas Sweed in Round 2. Help along the offensive and defensive line? Not yet, as the Steelers nab their second skill position player. Sweed and Mendenhall can play though. Big Ben and Bruce Arians have two new shiny toys to play with. I'm excited. Look forward to plenty of analysis and insight about Sweed from the network's Univ. of Texas blogger, PB @ BON, a Steelers fan and occasional contributor here.
32. Miami Dolphins - Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
33. St. Louis Rams - Donnie Avery, WR, Houston
34. Washington Redskins -Devan Thomas, WR, Michigan State
35. Kansas City Chiefs - Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
36. Green Bay Packers - Jordy Nelson, WR/KR, Kansas State
37. Atlanta Falcolns - Curtis Lofton, LB, Oklahoma
38. Seattle Seahawks - Jonathan Carson, TE, Notre Dame
39. San Francisco 49ers - Chilo Rachal, OG, USC
40. New Orleans Saints - Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana
41. Buffalo Bills - James Hardy, WR, Indiana
42. Denver Broncos - Eddie Royal, WR, Virginia Tech
43. Minnesota Vikings (via trade with Philadelphia) - Tyrell Johnson, S, Arkansas State
44. Chicago Bears - Matt Forte, RB, Tulane
45. Detroit Lions - Jordan Dizon, LB, Colorado
46. Cincinnati Bengals - Jerome Simpson, WR, Coastal Carolina
47. Philadelphia Eagles - Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame
48. Washington Redskins - Fred Davis, TE, USC
49. Philadelphia Eagles - DeSean Jackson, WR, California
50. Arizona Cardinals - Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
51. Washington Redskins - Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
52. Jacksonville Jaguars (via trade with TB) - Quentin Groves, LB/DE, Auburn
53. Pittsburgh Steelers - Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
54. Tennessee Titans - Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan
55. Baltimore Ravens - Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers
56. Green Bay Packers - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
57. Miami Dolphins - Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
58. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Dexter Jackson, WR, Appalachian State
59. Indianapolis Colts - Mike Pollack, C, Arizona State
60. Green Bay Packers - Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn
61. Dallas Cowboys - Martellus Bennet, TE, Texas A&M
62. New England Patriots - Terrence Wheatley, CB, Colorado
63. New York Giants - Terrell Thomas, CB, USC
**UPDATE** Bill Parcells is at it again, stockpiling size and ability in the trenches. Jake Long + Phillip Merling = on the right track.
**UPDATE** Ok, ESPN just lost a viewer, as they seemingly just missed picks 34 and 35. During their glitch, the first WR comes off the board, but it's not the one we were expecting. It's Donnie Avery from Houston.
**UPDATE** Desean Jackson, Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly all still on the board. Avery and Nelson gone first, Thomas sandwiched in between. After no WRs in the first round, 3 of first 5 picks and 3 of the last 4 are WRs in Round 2.
**UPDATE** I like this pick. Fast, mean, sure tackler, well-coached in college. Lofton should quietly do some nice things in Atlanta.
**UPDATE** I was holding out a tiny sliver of hope that Chilo was going to be available later in the 2nd round. Guess not.
**UPDATE** New Orleans certainly needed a CB on Day 1. They held off in Round 1 and got other defensive help, then got a tier 2 guy early in Round 2 with Tracy Porter.
**UPDATE** Wow, the pundits totally had the WR board wrong. Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, Desean Jackson all still on the board. The Bills get the tall WR they want, but it's not Kelly or Sweed. Back-to-back Hoosiers. That has to be a first right? And the Broncos get some WR help in Eddie Royal from Va Tech. Royal's pretty darn small at just 5'9". Very interesting how far off all the mock drafts were on this WR crop.
**UPDATE** More small school products flying off the board. Also, VERY surprised and disappointed by the Redskins selection. A TE? You have one of the best in the business in Chris Cooley, and a very solid back-up in Todd Yoder.
**UPDATE** The diminuitive DeSean Jackson finally drafted, by the Eagles. McNabb gets a WR. Sweed and Kelly still available.
**UPDATE** Calais Campbell could have given plenty of teams help in the trenches. The Cardinals take Campbell, and if he stays healthy, I don't think they'll regret it.
**UPDATE** I love Malcolm Kelly's potential but kinda strange to see the Redskins take 3 pass-catching threats in the first two rounds: Thomas, Fred Davis, Malcolm Kelly.
**UPDATE** Very interesting. I would have loved Groves, but the Jags snuck ahead of us at #52 and take him. So, the Steelers get their second skill position of the day, selecting Limas Sweed, WR, Texas. Being in Austin, I've seen plenty of this guy. Much more to come on him.
**UPDATE** The Titans add some beef in Round 2 along the defensive line, and the Ravens get some insurance for McGahee in the form of Ray Rice.
**UPDATE** Colts fans know nothing about the guy, but I think they'll learn quickly that Pollack is going to be a good one. We asked scout Rob Rang about him in our pre-draft Q&A , and he had good things to say about him. We're down to the last two picks of Day 1.