We're just about through big_jay71's first full-length, seven round 2011 NFL Mock Draft for Behind the Steel Curtain. Like Rounds 1-3, lots of good stuff here in two important middle rounds - 4 and 5.
Behind the Steel Curtain Late-February 2011 NFL Mock Draft:
97. Carolina Panthers - Lee Ziemba OG, Auburn
Carolina has a huge hole at RG.
98. Seattle Seahawks (From New England via Denver) - Tyler Sash SS, Iowa
Seattle continues to upgrade the secondary.
99. Buffalo Bills - Chris Hairston OT, Clemson
Buffalo needs upgrades at both Tackle spots.
100. Cincinnati Bengals - Bilal Powell RB, Louisville
If Cincy doesn't resign Cedric Benson they will need someone to carry the load.
101. Cleveland Browns - Lawrence Wilson OLB, Connecticut
The Browns lack any traditional 4-3 OLB's.
102. Arizona Cardinals - James Carpenter OG/OT, Alabama
The Cardinals will be forced to double and maybe even triple dip on Offensive Linemen prospects because they have one of the worst lines in the NFL.
103. Philadelphia Eagles (via Washington Redskins) - Ahmad Black SS, Florida
Quintin Mikell is a free agent.
104. Houston Texans - Dontay Moch DE/OLB, Nevada
Houston continues the overhaul of their defense by adding depth to their OLB's. Moch is an intriguing prospect as he is a pure speed-rusher.
105. Minnesota Vikings - Ross Homan OLB, Ohio State
Ben Leber and Chad Greenway are both free agents.
106. Detroit Lions - Delone Carter RB, Syracuse
Detroit lacks a power RB. I wanted to give them an OT by now but the value just isn't there.
107. San Francisco 49ers - Thomas Keiser DE/OLB, Stanford
The 49ers need an upgrade or two at OLB.
108. Tennessee Titans - Pat Devlin QB, Delaware
Who ever coaches Tennessee next year will need a QB to groom behind Kerry Collins. Devlin is somewhat of a sleeper pick because he's a D2 player who hasn't had a chance to face elite competition. He has a good arm, great accuracy, and a quick release.
109. Dallas Cowboys - Lawrence Guy DE/DT, Arizona State
The Cowboys need an upgrade over Igor Olshansky.
110. Miami Dolphins - Vincent Brown WR, San Diego State
Miami needs a solid number two receiver as they are set with Brandon Marshall as the one and Davone Bess in the slot.
111. St. Louis Rams - Kendall Hunter RB, Oklahoma State
St. Louis needs a change of pace RB to share the load with Steven Jackson.
112. Oakland Raiders - Tim Barnes OC, Missouri
Samson Satele is a free agent.
113. Jacksonville Jaguars - Christian Ponder QB, FSU
The Jags need a QB to groom behind David Garrard.
114. San Francisco 49ers (via San Diego Chargers) - Owen Marecic FB, Stanford
Coach Harbaugh gets one of his favorite players.
115. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Greg Romeus DE, Pittsburgh
Tampa took a DE in the first round and now they fill the other side. Romeus has injury issues but was once considered a top pick and is worth the value here.
116. New York Giants - Colin McCarthy ILB, Miami
The Giants could use an upgrade at every Linebacker position.
117. Kansas City Chiefs - Greg Salas WR, Hawaii
K.C. has nothing at WR besides Dewayne Bowe.
118. Indianapolis Colts - Will Rackley OT/OG, Lehigh
Indy needs an upgrade over Ryan Diem at RT and over Mike Pollack at RG.
119. Philadelphia Eagles - James Brewer OT, Indiana
Philly could use an upgrade over Winston Justice.
120. Jacksonville Jaguars (via New Orleans Saints) - K.J. Wright OLB, Mississippi State
Justin Durant is an injury-prone free agent.
121. Buffalo Bills (via Seattle Seahawks) - Greg Little WR, North Carolina
Even if they keep Lee Evans they still have a need for a WR.
122. Baltimore Ravens - Kelvin Sheppard ILB, LSU
The Ravens need an heir-apparent to Ray Lewis.
123. Atlanta Falcons - Derrick Locke RB, Kentucky
BPA, Matt Ryan could always use more weapons.
124. New England Patriots - Davon House CB, New Mexico State
New England needs an upgrade over Darius Butler.
125. New York Jets - Richard Sherman CB, Stanford
Antonio Cromartie is a free agent.
126. Chicago Bears - Derek Newton OT, Arkansas State
The Bears continue to upgrade the offensive line.
127. Pittsburgh Steelers - Mark Herzlich ILB, Boston College
This pick is purely about the best player available at this point. By now everyone knows his story. Two years ago he would've been a lock to be in the first round but decided to stay in school for his senior season. Shortly thereafter he was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma, a bone cancer. A year after that he won his battle with it. It's still going to take some time for him to fully regain his form. Picking him this late is much of a gamble for a developmental pick and he could eventually replace James Farrior who's 36 years old. On top of that Herzlich is a high-character guy that the Steelers front office will love.
128. Green Bay Packers - Shane Vereen RB, California
The Packers is a good change of pace back for James Starks, especially given that Brandon Jackson is a free agent and Ryan Grant will be a FA next year.
129. Carolina Panthers - Ian Williams NT, Notre Dame
Carolina will have to double-dip at DT.
130. Buffalo Bills - D.J. Williams TE, Arkansas
Buffalo needs an upgrade over Shawn Nelson.
131. Cincinnati Bengals - Mike Mohamed ILB, California
Dhani Jones is a 33 year old free agent.
132. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (via Denver Broncos) - Dion Lewis RB, Pittsburgh
With LeGarrette Blount as the starting RB Tampa needs a cheaper third-down back than pending free agent Cadillac Williams.
133. Arizona Cardinals - Steven Friday DE/OLB, Virginia Tech
Arizona will need to double-dip at rush linebacker because it's time to cut ties with Joey Porter and Clark Haggans.
134. Cleveland Browns - Darius Morris OG/OT, Temple
John St. Clair has already been released and Tony Pashos needs to be as well.
135. Houston Texans - Chimdi Chekwa CB/FS, Ohio State
Houston needs a lot of help in the secondary, especially at Safety. Like his former Buckeye teammate Mike Jenkins, Chekwa may not have the speed to play CB and will be moved to Safety.
136. Minnesota Vikings - DeMarcus Love OG, Arkansas
Minnesota needs an upgrade over Anthony Herrera.
137. Kansas City Chiefs (via Detroit Lions) - Nathan Enderle, QB, Idaho
K.C. will need a solid back-up for Matt Cassell and Enderle has the potential to start somewhere down the line.
138. San Francisco 49ers - Jalil Brown CB, Colorado
They took Prince Amukamara in the first round to replace Nate Clements, now they take another to eventually replace a very inconsistent Shawntae Spencer.
139. Tennessee Titans - Kris O'Dowd OC, USC
The Titans need an upgrade at OC.
140. Dallas Cowboys - Jeron Johnson SS, Boise State
Gerald Sensabaugh is a free agent.
141. Washington Redskins - Kenrick Ellis NT, Hampton
Washington has so many needs they have to go BPA. With Albert Haynesworth all but gone they need someone to play the most important cog in a 3-4 defense.
142. St. Louis Rams - Jaiquawn Jarrett SS, Temple
Strong safety is the biggest need in the Rams secondary.
143. Miami Dolphins - Bruce Miller DE/OLB, Central Florida
Miami needs some depth and possible competition for Koa Misi at OLB.
144. Jacksonville Jaguars - Eric Hagg S, Nebraska
Jacksonville needs upgrades at both Safety spots.
145. Oakland Raiders - Lance Kendricks TE, Wisconsin
Unless Zach Miller gets the franchise tag he won't be back next year.
146. Philadelphia Eagles (via San Diego Chargers) - Cliff Matthews DE, South Carolina
Philly doesn't have many needs at this point so it's pretty much just the BPA. They'll need depth at DE if Brandon Graham isn't ready to start the season.
147. Minnesota Vikings (via New York Giants) - Ryan Winterswyk DE, Boise State
Ray Edwards is a free agent.
148. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jah Reid OT, Central Florida
Jeremy Trueblood just isn't cutting it at RT.
149. Indianapolis Colts - Jerrard Tarrant S, Georgia Tech
Bob Sander is always hurt and Melvin Bullitt is a free agent.
150. Philadelphia Eagles - Ricky Stanzi QB, Iowa
With Kevin Kolb as good as traded Andy Reid will need another young QB to groom for the future.
151. Detroit Lions (via Kansas City Chiefs) - Derek Hall OT, Stanford
Detroit needs to do something to protect Matt Stafford.
152. Washington Redskins (via New Orleans Saints) - Chris Carter DE/OLB, Fresno State
Washington needs a replacement for Andre Carter.
153. Seattle Seahawks - Pierre Allen DE, Nebraska
Raheem Brock is a free agent.
154. Seattle Seahawks (via Baltimore Ravens) - Dwayne Harris WR, East Carolina
Seattle lacks WR depth.
155. Atlanta Falcons - Joe Lefeged SS, Rutgers
The Falcons cut Erik Coleman and William Moore was awful this past season.
156. New England Patriots - Cedric Thornton DE/DT, Southern Arkansas
BPA, Ty and Gerard Warren (no relation) are both over the age of 30.
157. Chicago Bears - Jamie Harper RB, Clemson
Chicago needs a power RB.
158. New York Jets - Ronald Johnson WR, USC
Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards are both free agents.
159. Pittsburgh Steelers - George Bryan TE, N.C. State
Matt Spaeth is a free agent.
160. Green Bay Packers - Cecil Shorts WR, Mount Union
Donald Driver may retire after finally winning a Super Bowl and James Jones is a free agent.